Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

• 53 Replies

noshed

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 17:09 »
We have regular inspections and people get sent Dirty Plot Notices and eventually Notices to Quit. This can be a long process because some people just do enough to show some work but don't really cultivate the plot.
We have 20 on the waiting list so it's not really fair on them.
It's hard to implement hard and fast rules when you're dealing with gardeners but our site secretary does her best.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mushroom

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 17:10 »
Quote from: "BAK"
I am sort of surprised that so far everybody says that they have plot inspections (or appraisals - somebody has told me off for sounding like a policeman by using the term inspection).

Surely there are some sites out there that do not have them, irrespective of whether or not they have waiting lists??

maybe inspections isn't the word - it's more like someone in the committee takes a stroll round to make sure everything is OK, at least on our site. if people see you're there with any regularity, they won't even look aty your plot, unless you ask them to. That's the way it is on my site at least.

I guess "inspection" or whatever is inappropiate at smaller sites unless they have turned into eyesores.

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 17:35 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
can't understnad this attitude mushroom, half the fun is in preparing it the way you want it for yourself.  I am glad though that I have a plot that was cultivated until recently, but am changing so much about it to fit my own wants and requirements.

When we went looking for a plot back in the spring the site we wanted had a waiting list of 9, but was offered (as an afterthought) a plot that had been empty for years on this site, nobody wanted to take it on because of the state of it.
Its 99% clear now and all ours :D
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 21:35 »
when we had an alotment the polotics drove me off.
your path has weeeds
why can I not get to my plot for fruit plants over the path ?
your path is weedy  :shock: i am the only one using it
then by default some self important person became chairperson and because I questioned why she had not called for a new election to endorse\her powers and that she had not been elected to have power

well all I can say is diplomatic relations broke down

she is now off the site with no garden

I have a nice place with self important D*** heads to interfear
always have a target
and an objective.

paintedlady

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 14:03 »
From what I understood, if a plot is not being cultivated up to March 31st (within reasonable period of taking the plot on) then the tenant is given written notice.  That's when you see the old boys clearing a little bed to show they still want the plot.  However, where neglect has been down to a long illness, there are exceptions to the rule but generally I think a second letter is then sent to terminate the plot rental if the plot remains uncultivated.  The only "inspections" would be to check the state of the plots at end of March and possibly the casual eye of the site supervisor to make sure you are not growing any wacky backy or having a bonfire.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 14:27 »
Hi

We have inspections and did have a waiting list of 5 at our AGM in October.
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

The Thin Blue Line

• Experienced Member
  • One Forking at a time please.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 19:06 »
Well having gone from 23 (last year) on the list to 13 in September to been told via email a few weeks ago that a review was been taken and the waiting list suspended im slightly put off, I have been helping out with some old dears on the local plots so I get to be known to people but still....

And it is inspections :) , If any one gives you grief send them my way.

anyway I do have a bit of a garden that I use, but its hardly fair on the wife and kids..

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 19:27 »
I'm on a small plot of about 26 allotments, unfortunately half of them are abandoned and are just thickets and weeds.
        We never have inspections and I have never known anybody receive a warning.
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

Sally A

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 22:18 »
Hi BAK - have a look at the BANES website, there you can see all the allotment sites in the Bath area with the number of plots available and waiting lists.

I'm a back garden grower myself so cannot comment on inspections etc.

SkipRat

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 01:04 »
Quote from: "Grasshopper"
I'm on a small plot of about 26 allotments, unfortunately half of them are abandoned and are just thickets and weeds.
        We never have inspections and I have never known anybody receive a warning.

Grasshopper which site are you on in Hull, I,m on the Gypsyville site, and they have just started inspections after getting the old association back up and running. I think they have recomended to the council who run the site to send a few letters out to a few plotholders. We have around 73 plots and most are took up, I,m not aware of any waiting lists though. I have just got my second plot on there complete with a 12 foot ally g/house and a very good shed.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 06:46 »
Our site is council owned. We do not have an association. I've never know an inspection. I think to a certain extent it's 'self policed'. Someone will inform the council if a nearby plot is not being cultivated, they will contact the tenant & find out what's going on.

Seems to work as most of the 40 odd plots are cultivated. Don't know what the waiting list, if any, is though. Certainly wasn't one 2 years ago when Mrs. D. made enquires about an untended plot, which is now her's (mine!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

BAK

• BK This and That
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 07:28 »
thanks to everybody for the info so far .. pls keep them coming.

Sally A - brilliant .. if only all council web sites were that informative!

gobs

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 09:45 »
Quote from: "The Thin Blue Line"
Well having gone from 23 (last year) on the list to 13 in September to been told via email a few weeks ago that a review was been taken and the waiting list suspended im slightly put off, I have been helping out with some old dears on the local plots so I get to be known to people but still....

anyway I do have a bit of a garden that I use, but its hardly fair on the wife and kids..

Suspended? What do they mean? I've heard some councils closed the waiting lists, but surely the allocation of new plots continues by the existing lists, does it not? :?  :shock:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 09:54 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "The Thin Blue Line"

Suspended? What do they mean? I've heard some councils closed the waiting lists, but surely the allocation of new plots continues by the existing lists, does it not? :?  :shock:

I'd have thought so. Late on parade today, gobs :!:

gobs

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 10:00 »
Quote from: "DD."

Late on parade today, gobs :!:

Sorry, :?  :?  :? , completely ....

xx
Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:57
by woodburner
xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
The dreaded Plot inspections!!!!

Started by Lee1978 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 13:12
by Lee1978
xx
Pics of my small garden plot (waiting for an allotment)

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 18:38
by peapod

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 28 queries.