Young Leeks not growing.

• 14 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Young Leeks not growing.
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:55 »
Hi all, again.
I sowed three types of leeks on the 20th of March and stuck them in the coldframe but they seem to have slowed right down and just look like blades of grass at the moment. Im eager to see them growing to pencil size so i can plant them on the plot and im thinking about giving them a feed but Im not sure what to feed them with.
I was thinking about sprinkling some BF&B on top of the soil and watering it in but as I said Im really not sure.
Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Young Leeks not growing.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:58 »
I gave mine a liquid feed a couple of days ago - it's better to scratch BF&B into the surface, and my leeks are too close together to do that.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 13:00 »
Leeks are very slow but at least you have blades of grass I have ........ Well let's not go there  ::)

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 13:12 »
Sorry to hear that beetroot queen but if its any consolation my beetroot seems to be taking forever to germinate (hope ive not drowned them too much and they have rotted)

Which liquid feed would be recommended mum? I have some Tomamtorite they could have, would that do? Im also seeing green on the surface of the soil (im guessing its mold or something?) so im thinking its the cheapo seed compost i bought (the compost is very dark, almost black)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 13:22 »
any liquid feed would do - I have some of the cheapo tom feed from Poundland, left over from last year, so I'm using that  :D

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 13:44 »
I fed mine with comfrey tea but still have blades of grass. There's plenty of time for them to bulk up. I never do get them pencil thickness and I don't see many others who do either ;)

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 14:08 »
I never do get them pencil thickness and I don't see many others who do either ;)

They don't come to any harm planted out then, if they don't reach the fabled "pencil" size?

I read on Twitter that someone was planting theirs out a few weeks ago! I was planning for next month, after I lift the overwintered onions.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 14:21 »
I'm planning back end of June when I (I hope) get to lift the early spuds, though I might bung a few in before then.

ETA: Just had a check and last year I planted them out last week in May, but then I wasn't waiting on spuds last year :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 14:30 by pdblake »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 17:40 »
I got tired of waiting so planted all mine last weekend.. They were matchstick to a bit smaller in thickness.. They just gotta fend for themselves now!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 17:55 »
i sowed mine in a corrugated box 18inx 12in by 12in deep scattered a packet and left them to grow got them too matchstick thickness so now there out down the edges were my peas are and were my rhubarb and gooseberry bed is maybe got about 70 in there just an experiment to see ow they do got a small bed earmarked for a later seed planting

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 18:37 »
Well its nice to hear others opinions and ways of doing things. I dont feel as anxious now.
Whats the latest time i can wait to put them in the ground?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 18:43 »
I got tired of waiting so planted all mine last weekend.. They were matchstick to a bit smaller in thickness.. They just gotta fend for themselves now!!

Good to hear. I would worry about bthem at that size, but if its tried and tested I might go for it. 

If it works, and its obviously better outside than in a pot, why wait at all?  Is there a higher mortality rate amongst young leeks?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 18:55 »
Whats the latest time i can wait to put them in the ground?
Mmmm...I'd be interested in knowing that too Dai.  Was hoping to put them in after my overwintered onions but if that's too late I may have to jiggle things about a bit.....
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 19:12 »

Good to hear. I would worry about bthem at that size, but if its tried and tested I might go for it. 

If it works, and its obviously better outside than in a pot, why wait at all?  Is there a higher mortality rate amongst young leeks?

last year I did the same and they all survived...  :D

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 19:18 »

last year I did the same and they all survived...  :D

Excellent, just need to decide whether to wait for the onions to be up or not, now!

Might get them in between the onions, and harvest the onions as the leeks grow

xx
Pruning growing tip of young tomato plants

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 11:50
by Nobbie
xx
Growing Leeks

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2024, 07:51
by Snow
xx
Leeks not growing?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 11:29
by sunshineband
xx
growing leeks

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 21:27
by WG.

Page created in 0.88 seconds with 32 queries.