Gaps in potato bed

• 2 Replies

Kirpi

Gaps in potato bed
« on: May 08, 2013, 14:06 »
I think I have a few seed potatoes which have rotted in the cold and wet and so I have occassional gaps in my potato bed.

I could use up some seed potatoes which the allotment shed still have and have them come up later, but I also thought I could sow or plant a dozen or so peas and have them climb up a wigwam of stakes.

That way, if the gaps are just due to those seed potatoes being slower than the rest, I won't have a clash of seed potatoes growing in the same spot and the peas might actually grow through the potato canopy and give a double crop if they are tall enough in time.

Are there any other plants I could consider filling the gaps with?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Gaps in potato bed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 14:38 »
I'd be getting my little 3-pronged fork out and having a look under the surface to see if the shoots are there - if the others are up they shouldn't be far behind.

If you don't find anything keep going until you do, it's the only way to be sure whether or not anything is going to come up there (your plans B and C seem a bit complicated otherwise.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kirpi

Re: Gaps in potato bed
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 21:14 »
Good point - I'll go scrattin' as soon as I can. thanks

xx
Gaps in pea row

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2022, 18:18
by Growster...
xx
Gaps

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 09:28
by veggirl
xx
garlic gaps

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 21:13
by Lardman
xx
Filling gaps now

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 15:08
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.965 seconds with 37 queries.