garlic planted in Oct

• 7 Replies

caro810

garlic planted in Oct
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:30 »
hi new to growing got my allotment Aug 2012 and by the time i cleared it and set up beds it was oct went down garden centre and got some onion sets and garlic which said i could plant now so did just that but my question is when will it be ready, looks ok but leaves on the garlic have went a little brown it seems to have been in ages and got confused as a lot of people seem to have put onions in now was i to early will i get anything?need all the help i can get. thanks

allotmentann

Re: garlic planted in Oct
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:40 »
There are two types of onion sets sold for planting, Japanese (autumn) planting onions and others sold for spring planting. You get a slightly earlier crop from autumn sown, but they do not store quite as well as spring sown.
Your garlic should be fine, it usually grows better planted in autumn. It is not quite ready to harvest yet. :)

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41 »
They will be fine. Keep them well watered now. Maybe some feed too. Mine were all planted in October and I will expect to harvest June/ July.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 06:44 »
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly regarding the onions, there are two seasonal types. What you will have planted will be Winter or Japanese onions. These will mature from about June onwards. However, they re not brilliant storing onions and should be used fairly quickly. They are generally used as a stop-gap between crops of the spring planted ones which you've seen other people put in. These spring planted ones are regarded as the main crop, but unfortunately you've probably missed the boat there.

Regarding the garlic, this will be ready when all the leaves have gone yellow, this is generally not until July/August time.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:57 »
My autumn planted garlic were starting to look a little yellow at the tips of the leaves about three weeks ago. A top dressing of growmore and a good water soon fixed that. They're all now very green and much bigger.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:42 »
My autumn planted garlic were starting to look a little yellow at the tips of the leaves about three weeks ago. A top dressing of growmore and a good water soon fixed that. They're all now very green and much bigger.

Both my Garlic and Onions were looking a little brown as well so I gave them a good dressing of Potash and a watering and they are now looking brilliant - I had a couple of fellow plot holders visit over the weekend to find out what I had done to my Onions and Garlic to get them looking so good, I was delighted with myself  :happy:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17 »
I can confirm my autumn planted onions are not ready yet... I couldn't help myself and wanted to see what it was going - so I pulled one  :wub:  it was like a large spring onion and very strong (nearly made me cry on the spot!!).  I knew it wouldn't be ready but sometimes my inquisativeness gets ahead of me  :lol:

As for spring planted ones I was a bit slow off the mark - learn for next year...

Hannah :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 12:26 »
You'll know what's doing on when you can see the bulbs above ground level. If you can't see one, there won't be one.

With winter/autumn planted onions you may as well use them when they get to a decent size rather than wait for maturity, as they are not going to store for a long time.

xx
garlic planted too close and they are not doing well. what to do?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 15:09
by Trillium
xx
Spring planted garlic

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2012, 21:41
by missmoneypenny
xx
Onion and garlic planted

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2017, 11:37
by snowdrops
xx
Garlic planted in the Spring

Started by BigA on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2006, 15:04
by Heather_S

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 27 queries.