Pigeons and seedlings

• 5 Replies

Steveharford

Pigeons and seedlings
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:57 »
I have a couple of pigeons in my garden who feed at the bird table as well as other areas. At the moment they are ignoring my newly emerged carrots, parsnip, radish and beetroot. Am I just lucky and should cover then with something? Or will they continue to ignore them. I haven't had any problems in the past but would like to play safe.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Pigeons and seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 09:00 »
My pigeons go for most things, but not what you've mentioned.

I only net carrots against carrot fly.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:03 »
Thanks DD that's one job less then. Will get some fleece today. Never had carrot fly but best not to take a chance. Conditions have been challenging enough.

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:47 »
I have all sorts of seedlings out in my garden, and also a lot of pigeons. My theory is, that if there is plenty of readily available bird food, and water, then they won't bother with the seedlings. I actually left all my bean seeds germinating next to an area where I put food for the birds and they all germinated fine. The pigeons didn't disturb them,nor did they eat the newly emerged seedlings. I do have a lot of bird feeders and they are all kept well stocked though. :) Seedlings at the plot do not fair so well! :(

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 22:02 »
I might have solved my horseradish lack of success.   Its either pigeons pecking them so they never manage to emerge above the soil, or crows.  My bet is on the flying-tree-rats.

On our allotments pigeons go for any any brassica.  They can strip seedlings to the stalk in the blink of an eye, a bit like piranha.  ;)
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10 »
I might have solved my horseradish lack of success.   Its either pigeons pecking them so they never manage to emerge above the soil, or crows.  My bet is on the flying-tree-rats.

On our allotments pigeons go for any any brassica.  They can strip seedlings to the stalk in the blink of an eye, a bit like piranha.  ;)

I wish the pigeons would take a fancy to the comfrey that has found its way into my garden then! I have no idea where it came from, but I can't get rid of it! >:(

xx
Is it pigeons?

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 20:01
by Trillium
xx
Pigeons

Started by thrapston on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 15:56
by Johnny Norfolk
xx
Pigeons anything they do not eat!!

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 18:53
by rowlandwells
xx
Pigeons Don't Like Red!

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 23:54
by SUTTY1

Page created in 1.343 seconds with 36 queries.