disaster with eggs, but are they ok?

• 5 Replies

silverteen

disaster with eggs, but are they ok?
« on: May 02, 2013, 20:55 »
i have two broody silkies and bought 12 eggs off ebay for them to hatch.

that was a week ago. Last night was day 6 so i candled and saw veins in all 12  :)

then disaster struck, i got up early (working lots of hours and very tired) pulled the hens out of the bird box and gave them food. i pick them out 2-3 times a day for them to get food and water otherwise they just sit there all day...

anyway my fiance got home at 16.00 from work and said the hens were under the coop, i told her to put them back in and she said the door wasnt open and theyd been locked out all day!!!! i was gutted, being overly tired i must have not slid their door open. I was really gutted that the eggs would die, when i got home they were back on the eggs so i left them on them, thinking their was a 1% chance one would be ok.

now as it getting darker i candled 3 eggs to find the veins all ok and dark blob inside moving around inside....

does this mean the chicks are ok? or does this dark blob not mean they are alive? any advice

they were left over 8 hours without hens on them!. ive never ever locked my hens out of the coop in all the years ive had them, so gutted

thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: disaster with eggs, but are they ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 21:05 »
Hi silverteen, I have read a similar story before and the eggs hatched.  All you can do is wait and see. At least it has been a warm day and with the coop door shut it will have kept warmer.

You are better leaving the broodies to come out on their own.  You may think they don't leave the nest but they generally do.  I used to clear the broody poo each day from the run and then I could tell that they had been out when there was another huge poo in its place.   :lol:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

silverteen

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 21:12 »
i know one hen does leave the coop as ive seen go out and eat, but one i have is soooo broody, shes in a complete trance, once i pick her out and put her on the grass it still takes her about 3-4 minutes before she "wakes" up and snaps out of her trance, the dog even goes right in her face to sniff her and she doesnt flinch.

she is the best mother and most broody of my silkies though. I just do it to be safe as i dont want her getting ill or starving.

I think i will candle them again tomorrow. Am i right thinking the moving embryo is a good sign? when ive hatched before i remember seeing the embryo moving about around a week in too.

thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 21:24 »
Yes that's right there is a short video of one at 6 days HERE

Not sure it is a good idea to candle so often though especially as they have had a bit of trauma today.  Tie your hands behind your back and resist candling for a few days.   ::) :lol:

splash101

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 21:25 »
If you are lifting them, be careful when you pick them up. Sometimes they get an egg stuck on their bare skin where they have plucked the feathers and when you lift, the egg drops.

I probably wouldnt keep disturbing them to candle. Chances are the broody will kick out any eggs that are not viable in a few days.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 08:18 »
like Splash I wouldn't keep candling. If your broody doesn't come out to eat (and to be sure you would need to watch her over 18 hours or however long you have your coop open) then lift her off just once a day, checking that their are no eggs tucked up under her wings  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Disaster

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

119 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 01:33
by iwantanallotment
clip
Disaster Hatch!

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 11:07
by New shoot
xx
Back from holiday to a chicken disaster!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 23:30
by jack russell
xx
Incubator disaster - update - it's hatch day

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 16:50
by wapello

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 31 queries.