Compost Question

• 3 Replies

sion01

Compost Question
« on: May 01, 2013, 16:19 »
Over the last two years i've taken the composting lark very seriously and collected manure,seaweed,leaves and anything else that would make compost and as a result I have too much.Much too much.Ive got two heaps that I havent even opened.

What would be the best way for me to keep it.Should i sieve it and keep it in a covered heap for later use or leave it in the heap until needed.Id guess theres about 40 barrows full in all.Im scaleing down my composting from now on ::)

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Re: Compost Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 16:23 »
You can have too much compost? :blink:

You could always try growing some squshes on a heap. Spread it around a bit? Top up your beds?

If you really want to store it then ordinary compost bags will do the trick. It certainly won't go off :D

sion01

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 16:36 »
I've already topdressed my flower borders,filled a raised bed for my strawberries,spread a good 6 inches on where the veg grows,mulched blackcurrants,rhubarb,apples,plumbs etc.Ive got 4 squash plants ready to go out when(if) the frosts stop this year.So just another 35 barrow loads to deal with :D

fred-quimby

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 17:12 »
Just get it in the ground.  No such thing as too much.  My soil is very clay and I would dream of having too much.  Only took it over last year and I have two Daleks and a rather large horse muck mound rotting down.  Cannot rot fast enough for me.  At home I always have two on the go and for years I have just shovelled it on the garden.  Now I have soil that you can run through your hands (have to water it in 'dry' weather but it does retain the moisture quite well).
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

xx
strawberry question and compost/manure question.

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 00:06
by chili
xx
Another compost question - sorry!

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 09:35
by Grubbypaws
xx
compost question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2010, 12:02
by compostqueen
xx
Compost Question

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 18:55
by daveinbracknell

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 28 queries.