Seedlings emerging

• 1 Replies

Tobiass

Seedlings emerging
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:25 »
I have three seed trays with tomatoes (7) in cell tray, chillis (6 which are just popping heads through soil) and peppers (4 again just popping heads thru soil).

Is it ok to stand these on a table in a east facing patio window? Worried about light levels. Also will they still need bottom heat - central heating is only on for couple of hours at the moment.

Finally, planted 6 courgette seeds in shallow seed tray and all have germinated. Two of them have two large leaves, is it ok to pot these on into 11cm pots at this stage as they are rather crowded in seed tray? Again, these are in the east facing patio window on a table. Should I have started these individually in 7cm or 11cm pots to start to avoid potting on to early???

What is the watering regime for day old seedlings?

All new to me, did all my germination in an unheated propagator in airing cupboard and was successful. Just need to keep seedlings going - worried about light levels and temperature and watering??
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Re: Seedlings emerging
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18 »
I have three seed trays with tomatoes (7) in cell tray, chillis (6 which are just popping heads through soil) and peppers (4 again just popping heads thru soil).

Is it ok to stand these on a table in a east facing patio window? Worried about light levels. Also will they still need bottom heat - central heating is only on for couple of hours at the moment.

East Facing will give them weak light in the morning, which is fine for young seedlings, as it is unlikely to burn them.   

Finally, planted 6 courgette seeds in shallow seed tray and all have germinated. Two of them have two large leaves, is it ok to pot these on into 11cm pots at this stage as they are rather crowded in seed tray? Again, these are in the east facing patio window on a table. Should I have started these individually in 7cm or 11cm pots to start to avoid potting on to early???

They do grow very quickly, and are better planted in 3 inch pots and them potted up when the first true leaves come through. Be careful not to damage the roots as they will become entangled very quickly if closely sown.

What is the watering regime for day old seedlings?

Try to water from underneath, as not to disturb the tiny roots and dont overwater as they may rot, or start to dampen off.

All new to me, did all my germination in an unheated propagator in airing cupboard and was successful. Just need to keep seedlings going - worried about light levels and temperature and watering??

I would advise tin foil behind to plants to distribute the light evenly and room temperature should be fine for them, as they will appreciate being above 10 degrees at this stage.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

xx
my seeds are emerging!!

Started by mrsbaggins on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 18:18
by DD.
xx
Couch grass emerging in my onion and pot beds!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 11:36
by Goosegirl
xx
Seedlings

Started by chris23005 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2010, 22:23
by chris23005
xx
looking after seedlings

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:33
by Kristen

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 28 queries.