Quince Question

• 14 Replies

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Quince Question
« on: September 17, 2006, 17:40 »
i have 2 varieties of quince growing in my front garden - they've been there ever since we moved in and this year i'm going to do something with them.

but how do i know when they are ready to pick? as from what i undertsnad they are a firm fruit so how do i know when they are ripe?

any experience of quinces and advice is much appreciated!

jenny

milkman

Quince Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 10:42 »
I have limited experience of quinces - this is only the second time that my cydonia oblonga (traditional quince) tree has ever produced a bumper crop of quinces in 7 or 8 years.  I think the last time it happened which was a couple of years ago now, I waited until the rigid-pear-shaped-sized fruits turned yellow before picking them and storing them in my garage not knowing quite what to do with them until my sister took them off my hands and made quince jelly.  

I think I will do the same this year (I'm hoping that when they're ripe you can just pick them off in the same way as you can with apples), but will try and make the effort to do something useful with them myself.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 14:50 »
i plan to make a qince paste/cheese but just wasn't sure when to pick them.  as i say both my varieties have about 8-10 fruit each.  but they also seem very small still.  i think i may start watering and taking proper care instead of leaving it to its own devices!!

i read in a book in the library today that the fruit should be left til just be left til just before the first frosts before picking.

anyone know of any good websites that might tell me?

milkman

Quince Question
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 12:24 »
Two of my quinces dropped off the tree at the weekend.

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 12:59 »
well i read in a book at home base thats they should be ready in october,  so any time now i guess,  its just mine look very small - how big should i expect them to grow??

milkman

Quince Question
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 16:40 »
If they are very small it sounds as though you may be growing a japanese quince type variety - mine are as large as very large pears (!) and as hard as nails! - will try and remember to post an up to date pick when I have a few more to hand.

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 17:39 »
well i think i have 2 varieties,  but to be honest i really don't know....

this is one type

and this is the other

and here's both together,

they certainly look different for each other i think!  the first is a lot more yellow and waxy and nobbly,

the second looks more like a pear and has a speckled colour almost

James

• Experienced Member
Quince Question
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 18:49 »
My local Tescos had some super quince bushes outside.  We raided them in January and made quince jelly.  

Alas, they uprooted them this year, and replaced them with ugly conifers, one of which died during the summer.

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 15:42 »
hmm well two less quinces now,  the looked moudly so i picked them (no bigger than a golf ball i might add!)  thy were the more nobbly yellow ones,

it seems that they are appealing to woodlice as lots on baby woodlice were having a feast!!!

milkman

Quince Question
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 10:12 »
pic of my quinces is now in the album

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 20:52 »
they look much more pear like/shaped than mine!!  does that mean there's something wrong with mine??  

came back after a week away and found 5 on the ground that had fallen naturally but they seem small.

maybe i should pay this bush/plant/tree some more attention care wise - how do you care for you're plant (we've lived here 10 years and this is the first time we've touched the thing!!)

milkman

Quince Question
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 21:47 »
i'M sure there's nothing wrong with yours - I think yours may be a japanese quince variety - known as chaenomeles, whereas mine are cydonia oblonga.

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 21:49 »
so they'll still be alright to make paste/cheese/butter or whatever you want to call it(!!), with??

jennyb

• My Blog
Quince Question
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 22:06 »
thought i'd post a pick of the collection so far - about 6 still hanging onto the bush tho!!

Oliver

Quinces
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 12:05 »
The first one looks like cydonia japonica - usually grown for its flowers. The fruits are quote small and nobbly, but have the typical quince smell and taste, although tye are vry sharp and take a lot of sugar to make them palatable.

The 'edible' quince is cydonia oblongata and the fruit is usually larger and more regular. They have a fine woolly coat (a bit like peaches), but it rubs off easier. They are also very sharp, but bake well and make fantastic preserves. they go a beautiful cornelian orange/red when cooked.

the other one - not sure at all, but its leaves don't look like cydonia oblongata leaves - too shiny.

We made preserves out of the cydonia japonica once, and although we got a good set, we ended up throwing it all away as it was just too sharp. Sigh...
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
A QUESTION ABOUT QUINCE?

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 19:53
by Rob the rake
xx
quince

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 21:22
by New shoot
xx
Quince?

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post October 10, 2013, 18:26
by jonewer
xx
Quince

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 00:07
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 30 queries.