Oh no! my poor soil :(

• 13 Replies

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Oh no! my poor soil :(
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:53 »
All that rain last year has played havoc with the condition of my soil. Now that things have dried out and I can dig, it's very noticeable how sandy the top six inches is - all the good organic stuff ( which I have added over the last few years) has been leached out, leaving behind mainly dirty fine sand.  :( We have a light, sandy and free-draining soil anyway, which has not helped.

I have noticed similar conditions in the farmland around-about - last week they were ploughing and the wind was blowing up a sand storm across the road.

I do have a good stock of well-rotted horse muck so I can put some organic matter back into my soil but that will be my reserves all gone.  :(

How is the condition of your soil?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Oh no! my poor soil :(
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:05 »
Same as yours Aelf - nutrients and added compost all disappear very quickly, so I target my precious compost to the actual growing areas a few weeks before planting or sowing rather than chucking it around in autumn which would just be a waste of time and compost.

I'm always on the lookout for what many other gardeners just hate - great big sticky lumps of clay to dry out and sprinkle on my soil, but as you can probably imagine that is a very slow work in progress!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:12 »
Thanks JayG, it helps to know we are in the same boat (even if we wish we weren't  :) )

As I drove in this morning, One farm field looked as if it had been sprinkled with lime - the soil was grey instead of it's usual black colour. But then I realised it's sand on the surface. Real bad news for the farmers, at least I don't depend on my crops to pay the bills.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:23 »
Sandy soils aren't all bad news Aelf - mine has never heard of the words "puddle" or "waterlogged" so I very rarely lose any overwintering plants, and it does warm up quickly (given half a chance!  ::))

Also quite good for root crops although even they need feeding more than they would in more water-retentive soils, and it's not a very popular soil type for them horrible little black keel slugs either.

Also...........................(nope, I think that's about it!!)  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:26 »
The great dustbowl in the US was caused by overcultivating dry soils, so there's a warning flag there. You will have to keep adding bulky organic matter, all you can get your hands on, so that the soil becomes more moisture retentive. 

You will have to seek out supplies of manure. There's always some knocking about  :)

The easiest thing to get your hands on is compostables, so get your composting organised today  :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27 »
I've got plenty of clay JayG!

But it's all very badly compacted, apart from one bed that had 6 barrows of fresh manure last autumn. The soil's dry and cracking on top and sodden and clumpy just 2 inches down - apart from two 1.2mx5m beds which are disgustingly stagnant.

This year may be something of a test of strength.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39 »
It does get better honest but it takes time.   I just keep adding and adding muck, compost, sand, manure, bonfire ash, etc year on year and it does get better honest.  I compost every bit of material I possibly can  :)

Avoiding walking on the soil.  I keep a few lightweight planks on the plot and chuck these down where I'm working

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:57 »
Sandy soils aren't all bad news Aelf - mine has never heard of the words "puddle" or "waterlogged" so I very rarely lose any overwintering plants, and it does warm up quickly (given half a chance!  ::))

Also quite good for root crops although even they need feeding more than they would in more water-retentive soils, and it's not a very popular soil type for them horrible little black keel slugs either.

Also...........................(nope, I think that's about it!!)  :lol:
absolutely agree - there are ups and downs to all soil types and, on balance, I think I prefer my sandy soil to clay soil. It's just that the leaching is much more noticeable this year than in other years.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02 »
Actually, my clay soil isn't too bad  :D - over the years I've been adding a lot of builders sharp sand as well as loads of compost (used, home made etc) plus well rotted manure where needed, and the majority of the plot has raised beds which have helped with drainage.  When I was doing a little digging on Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised how well the spade went into the soil especially when digging overwintered green manure into a bed that was heavy clay last year (you have to remember the dry 2011 and early spring 2012 weather where even standing on a fork was hard work!)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56 »
Where I've dug already looks ok, but the paths inbetween are dry and cracked.

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04 »
I have a new plot and the previous tenant seems to have used at least half of it as a giant compost heap so although the soil is mostly claggy clay, part of the plot is lovely wormy fluffy stuff. The only drawback really is that we have so far dug out more than 3 x 3 meters of black plastic sheeting about half a meter down in the soil plus quite a few compost-filled plastic bags which perhaps he thought were biodegradable, and cabbage or something roots (ditto!). I just hope there isn't any more lurking down there, I'm dug out!

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05 »
Sandy soils aren't all bad news

It does warm up quickly but....

I've said before I've lost count of how many tonnes of organic matter I've added only for it to turn round like the plant in little shop of horrors and say "feed me" again. I've scrapped the top layer of usable soil into small beds and have concentrated on improving those.  They're never walked on and new material is lightly forked into the top couple of inches.

The old bloke next door had been working on his soil for 40 years and it's just about right  :ohmy:

The sub soil here about a foot down is soft red sand (used as building sand locally) it forms a dense hard pan like clay - I have puddles in the winter and a dust bowl in the summer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:19 »
The sub soil here about a foot down is soft red sand (used as building sand locally) it forms a dense hard pan like clay - I have puddles in the winter and a dust bowl in the summer.

Oh dear, almost the worst of both worlds!  :nowink:

My soil is about 18"-24" deep, and underneath it is (wait for it!) sandstone, a bit flakey in the subsoil area but solid underneath (found all this out whilst excavating for my pond.)

We "desert" gardeners seem to agree that compost is only a temporary fix for our soils - I reckon getting more clay into it as well as organic material is the only way of achieving a more permanent change towards a more loamy mixture, although unfortunately it's a bit impractical even on a garden rather than allotment scale (but I'll keep trying!)  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 16:35 »
Each time you plant you need to add more bulky organic matter, or sand or whatever  :)

I was planting spuds this morning but the first job was to assemble soil improving materials. I'd got no poo so it was homemade kitchen bin compost mixed with bonfire ash

Lovely stuff. I ended up with two barrowfuls. Very gritty due to the eggshells so it should help deter slugs
I love kitchen bin compost as it's weed free  :)
compo.jpg

xx
plants for poor soil?

Started by sladefungus on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 20:20
by WG.
xx
Poor soil at new house

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 23:33
by Salmo
xx
poor soil condition

Started by emotion-2003 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2012, 18:40
by emotion-2003
xx
Poor soil in Polytunnel

Started by groweate on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 19:04
by TonyB.

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 32 queries.