poor soil condition

• 18 Replies

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
poor soil condition
« on: January 25, 2012, 21:04 »
hi
i have allotment but problem is soil condition is very poor.i am trying to find/get some chicken or horse manure but i couldnt find yet.alternatively i am thinking about using chicken manure pellet.could somebody advice me how to make rich soil?what kind of fertiliser should i use?please help
thanks

solway cropper

Re: poor soil condition
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 21:08 »
You really need to get as much organic matter in as you possibly can. Well rotted manure is ideal if you can get it. Some local councils sell composted green waste or you can buy bags of manure/soil conditioner from garden centres.

Don't try and do the whole plot at once. It's far better to get one or two beds done each year and slowly build up fertility.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 21:08 »
What kind of soil do you have?  This will affect what will make it better.
Cheese makes everything better.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 21:31 »
What kind of soil do you have?  This will affect what will make it better.
actually soil mix with compost.tenant who ve been living here didnt look after garden and allotment.i just clean up al rubish and allotment for fresh start.but last year i couldnt get and veg at all.like i said soil/compost looks very nice and clean but no mineral in it.
i ve been looking for fertiliser/manure pellet but there many diffrent product.i dont know even what for i am looking at the moment.just i am in stress.if i cant get any veg this year i ll just put grass seed on my allotment :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 21:34 by emotion-2003 »

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 22:11 »
I'd use growmore pellets this year and try to get some well rotted horsemanure to add as you go along, dont forget you can use green manures to add organic matter/ goodness to your soil, even if it's just a packet of dried peas from the supermarket, sow them and dig them in when they have grown to about 4"- 8 " tall, then plant your crops a few weeks later.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 22:37 »
What kind of soil do you have?  This will affect what will make it better.
actually soil mix with compost.tenant who ve been living here didnt look after garden and allotment.i just clean up al rubish and allotment for fresh start.but last year i couldnt get and veg at all.like i said soil/compost looks very nice and clean but no mineral in it.
i ve been looking for fertiliser/manure pellet but there many diffrent product.i dont know even what for i am looking at the moment.just i am in stress.if i cant get any veg this year i ll just put grass seed on my allotment :)

You are worrying far too much about this.  The previous tenant may not have looked after it well but that does not automatically mean that the soil is poor.  Furthermore, as it does have some soil in the mix, the plants will grow.  Don't go doing daft things like just putting it down to grass.

Richy gives good advice and if you can follow it then do so.  But if you don't manage to do so, don't fret too much.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

stompy

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:19 »
If you can get it dug over, buy a large bag/box of Blood Fish And Bone or Growmore and apply it generousely (read instructions on the pack) all over the growing area then rake it in.
Do this now and again in Autum and you will build good fertility into the soil.

Also you can grow green manures at most times of the growing season to be dug in to add organic matter to the soil if you can't get hold of animal manure.

Like the others have said though, don't get stressed about it as there is always a solution to the problem, so keep asking questions and most of all start Enojoying it  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:39 »
It takes a lot of abuse to ruin soil. I wouldn't worry until you've actually tried to grow something in it.  Many vegetables don't like rich soil so please take that into account before adding artificial, expensive fertilisers. As others have said, natural manures etc are going to be easily available and cheaper. Added to that you need to get some comfrey plants in and start to make your own compost  :)

Good luck  :)

stompy

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:05 »
but last year i couldnt get and veg at all.like i said soil/compost looks very nice and clean but no mineral in it.

Hence the need for BFB. ;)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:40 »
Use a soil testing kit and find out exactly what your dealing with before throwing anything at it. you never know what your soil is like till you test it.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 16:59 »
Use a soil testing kit and find out exactly what your dealing with before throwing anything at it. you never know what your soil is like till you test it.
hi
its a good idea.i ll get soon and write you the result for more advice :)
thanks

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 17:01 »
did you try and grow veg last year what happened ? even very poor soil will grow something if you provide enough water. If you look at the average farmers field you would not want it as a garden yet they seem to grow very good crops just using the right fertilisers . get a good book and read up on what is required for the veg you want to grow  
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 17:18 »
did you try and grow veg last year what happened ? even very poor soil will grow something if you provide enough water. If you look at the average farmers field you would not want it as a garden yet they seem to grow very good crops just using the right fertilisers . get a good book and read up on what is required for the veg you want to grow  
hi
i 1 big polly tunnel,3 veg beds each about 2 sq/m
1 tryed tomato,egg plants,peppers,gerkins cucumbers in growing bags.tomato peppers and gerkins vere amazingly growed.but egg plant didnt.
on the veg beds i tryed onions,carrots,onion,potatoes,spinach,peppers and chillies,tomato and cucumber.potatoes growed perfect.onions didnt growe at all(they were not bigger then plum fruit),rest of the plants were yellow and harvest were just small and green.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 17:28 »
That seems an awful lot of veg for a total of 6m2, or do you mean each bed is 2m x 2m (4m2 each.

What time of year did plant these beds?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 17:36 »
yes 2mX2m each bed
i really cant remember when i planted in beds.but  potatoes i planted on good friday.actually i was following sow time on seed pack information

xx
soil condition

Started by sootyfaestoney on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 19:53
by sunshineband
xx
Soil condition

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 09:31
by Goosegirl
xx
Sowing now? not sure about my soil condition.

Started by Paulj on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 15:33
by Paulj
xx
Oh no! my poor soil :(

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 16:35
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 37 queries.