Adieu Napoleon

• 6 Replies

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Adieu Napoleon
« on: April 07, 2013, 12:03 »
We lost poor Napoleon the other night - he was hunched up and not his usual cheery self on Monday and when we checked him over there wasn't anything obviously wrong with him. I was going to take him to the vet if he was no better on Tuesday but he died overnight in the coop in his sleep. The girls are rather subdued - particularly Josephine who was his favourite hen (although she can be a right madam).  We are also rather sad to lose him as he was a gentle little chap and rather handsome with a fine ruffle round his neck (a bit like Henry the Eighth!). Also I had thought of letting one of the broody girls hatch a couple of eggs this summer as I think he would have fathered some rather nice chicks. Even our neighbours seem sad that he has gone - despite the crowing rather early in the morning!
We thought we would let the girls settle down as Josephine seems to get on with the ugly sisters and they all seem fine health wise. So far they seem content to peck around together and she is not being left out but the ugly sisters are very prone to being broody and tend to keep each other company in the coop when one or other is refusing to budge.
However I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about if we do end up getting some new hens, what a good number would be? Before when I have had a hen being left out of the group, getting another pair of hens hasn't helped as they have stuck together as the new girls in the coop. I wondered if getting three hens might even up the numbers or make the isolating/bullying worse? The only thing that seemed to restore order was getting a cockerel who the lone hen could then follow round and he made sure that the pecking order didn't get out of hand.
Just interested to see what you think. It's a bit of a dilemma...  :(

helens-hens

Re: Adieu Napoleon
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 14:23 »
Not really sure what to advise about getting new chickens but just wanted to say sorry to hear about losing your cockerel  :(.

I am only 3 years into hen keeping and so far the twice I have had to introduce new girls has gone very smoothly but in the first case that was introducing 1 new POL girl to just 1 older hen and then the 2nd time introducing 2 younger than POL to just 1 laying hen. I am sure somebody with a bit more experience will be along to advise soon.
Helen

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 18:41 »
Sorry about Napoleon  :(

There is a danger that getting new birds will make the bullying worse as they could gang together as well.  Ideally you should quarantine new stock.  Have you got a second coop to do this or could you borrow one?  Was just thinking you could buy 1 hen and put her with Josephine to bond.  They could then go in together and if you wanted another 2, they could go in together after Josephine and the newbie have settled.

Having a cockerel around does make life easier.  I'm going to get another couple of hens for my big run this spring and I know my lad Foghorn will be only too keen to take them in and look after them  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 19:41 »
So sorry to hear about Napoleon.   :(

Before you add any new birds it might be an idea to try and find out why he died.  I lost one of my broody bantams last week and was shocked as she was only looking a bit down for a few days.  She showed no signs of illness or pests and had been wormed recently with flubenvet.  I did an autopsy as I was puzzled and didn't want to lose any more hens.  It turned out that she had blocked her gizzard by eating some of the bedding.  One of my large fowl looked a bit under the weather the next day so I gave her cod liver oil.  The shops were closed so I had to wait to get some live maggots.  I have fed them all on them over a few days and hopefully if any had the same problem this should help.

When you decide to get more if your hens are large fowl you could get a few bantams.  Hopefully this would put your bullied one higher in the pecking order as it has with mine.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 14:09 »
Thanks for the suggestions - I hadn't thought of trying to bond a single hen with Josephine so will bear that in mind. (I know about bonding rabbits but hadn't thought of trying that with the girls!)

Sadly Napoleon was "disposed" of pretty quickly so I can't get a post mortem done. However the three girls seem fine and are pecking around the garden together as we speak.  I was just saying to the OH how well they were getting on yesterday when Josephine had a peck at one of the others - definitely back to feeling her usual bossy self!  ::)

My girls are bantams (silkies) so unless there are pygmy bantams I am not sure I can go much smaller in the chicken world!  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 14:53 »
 :lol:

If your new ones are young they should stay lower in the pecking order until they are fully grown.  By that time they should all have found their place in the flock.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 16:41 »
:lol:

If your new ones are young they should stay lower in the pecking order until they are fully grown.  By that time they should all have found their place in the flock.

That's what happened when we introduced the '3 degrees!' The 3 new redheads were definitely the lowest in the pecking order (which gave my Anastasia a bit of break - not for long mind ::) )

They all get on as well as they might now - only Rosie of the 3 new girls is still skittish among the group is they surround her, like for instance when I throw canary seed down, if she gets surrounded then she's gone!!
She also sleeps on her own in the other coop (built for the 3 new girls - never really used!!)

Mind you - the 3 redheads are disliked intensely by Jenny (Lohmann) and Grace (Columbian Blacktail) because they're ginger and very jealous of the pretty red heads!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 30 queries.