growing spuds in bags

• 9 Replies

spudlover

growing spuds in bags
« on: March 09, 2013, 23:46 »
i got a few to many seed potatos this year so if i grow some of them in bags. what ones are the best to grow in bags. i got pentland javelin kestrel and desiree.thinking the pentland javelin will be best in the bags.in the bags i will mix soil and compost and some chicken manure for feed will that be ok ?

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
Re: growing spuds in bags
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 00:52 »
We grow a lot in bags.  Water and feed is the key.  1st and 2nd earlies that grow well for us in bags/pots are:  Arran Pilot, Lady Christl, vales Emerald, Wilja, charlotte, kestral.

Desiree and other maincrop  in bags is hit or miss in my experience.  Kestral grown on as maincrop is good.  Ours have growmore mixed in the compost and fed weekly with tomato feed from week six onwards. We're trying some others this year, so only time will tell  :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 06:53 »
We're popping some in today, Spudlover, and hopefully will get a crop a few days before the others as long as the greenhouse stays upright...

Like your name! We did some sums on the back of an envelope, and decided that for value, flavour and sheer gluttony, new spuds come pretty high on the wanted list!

lottieheaven

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33 »
shoozie,  theres been debate about whether you can plant all the way to the top straight away or soil up as they grow ............... have you done both ?

spudlover

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:27 »
what about filling the bags just fill the bag or fill as the plant grow ? and when  the plant growing is it ok to move the bag around if needed. wanted to start them off in the shed. when the days warm up bring them out in the open

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15 »
After initial planting I waited till the shoots started pushing through and then covered them again.  This went on till about an inch from the top of the bag.  Plants grew on for the next several weeks producing lovely crop each time.  All except last year when the exceptional rain made the crop much smaller than usual. 

I used to move them as and when they needed moving.  Hope that helps? :)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 21:20 »
shoozie,  theres been debate about whether you can plant all the way to the top straight away or soil up as they grow ............... have you done both ?
Yes I've tried both ways.  Only last year I tried filling the bags to the top from the start (only 2 bags,  so hardly a sound trial :nowink:) and I was a bit sceptical to be honest.  I tried 5 Arran Pilots per 40lt bag, 3 seeds in the first 6 inches of compost, covered for another 6 inches, 2 more seeds, then filled the bag to the top (this came from T&M's website).  The result was one excellent bag, and one poorer in comparison to bags earthed up.  I'll try a few more this way this year to get a better idea. 

thumperrabbit

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:17 »
Yes I've tried both ways.  Only last year I tried filling the bags to the top from the start (only 2 bags,  so hardly a sound trial :nowink:) and I was a bit sceptical to be honest.  I tried 5 Arran Pilots per 40lt bag, 3 seeds in the first 6 inches of compost, covered for another 6 inches, 2 more seeds, then filled the bag to the top (this came from T&M's website).  The result was one excellent bag, and one poorer in comparison to bags earthed up.  I'll try a few more this way this year to get a better idea. 

Thats interesting, I have always earthed them up as they grew in bags but will give your suggestion a go with 4 of my 8 bags and see what happens!

hermon

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 13:56 »
i did this last year and read to cover with grass clippings, well i did too much they got too wet and roated the stems so out of 4 sacks i got 0 tatties so don't use grass clippings! ::)

spudlover

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 16:45 »
thanks guys i will just fill the bags up and leave them. will 3 seeds to a bag. pentland javelin will be my pick that will be going in the bags.is it worth to try a maincrop spud in a bag paul

xx
Growing spuds in bags

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 08:36
by BumbleJo
xx
Growing Spuds in bags.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 17, 2017, 20:23
by Growster...
xx
Spacing spuds and growing in bags.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2013, 03:57
by Kristen
xx
Spuds in bags!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 19, 2010, 20:24
by matty42

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 27 queries.