Stupid question time

• 23 Replies

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
Stupid question time
« on: March 09, 2013, 17:47 »
Whats the point of raised beds?  Not the waist height ones that make life easier for those unable to bend or find it difficult to make use of much lower space.

However, I see that on a plot there are deffinite marked areas with the use of planks etc raised a few inches higher than the surrounding plot?  Is it just to make it a cleaner looking area?

Sorry If i'm missing the whole point of smoething much more important.  ??? :wacko:

:D

Sparkyrog

Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 17:49 »
The idea of raised beds is you never walk on them ! it is better for the soil avoiding compaction . ;)
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 17:52 »
If you mark out areas and never walk on them and only add manure/compost to those areas they will eventually raise by a few inches each year - you don't have to have wood around them, though this obviously keeps the edges neater  ;)

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 18:01 »
Cheers chaps / chapessess (?) That makes perfect sense.  I’m new to this lotty lark and some things go a bit over mi ed. :)

I’ve just started my planned areas with a little walkway around each sub plot, which for me is ok as I don't plan to keep the same area for growing each year.  Is that acceptable or better to use wood / planking to mark out? 

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 18:05 »
I would keep the same area it improves with time , leave enough width in your pathways to be able to kneel down and get up easily  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 18:05 »
as long as you know which bits to walk on that's fine  ;)

Chrysalis

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 18:13 »
The advantage is that the soil is loose all the time (weather pemitting) and you can, if they're deep enough, grow things closer together.
Our 'beds' vary from 10cms to 50cms deep, depending on what we're growing in them.  We use polypropolene bags with drainage holes, encased in pretty wicker baskets.... we have a huge number of them and can grow most things for two in a small area.  :nowink:

However, we do have to refresh and replace a lot of soil/compost every season, but as we have lots of compost and a few hens it's easy to manage.

I suppose gardening's a bit like a creme egg - "How do you eat yours?" ! :tongue2:  We all do it differently and with varying results.  The things for us is to make it accessible and easy to manage.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 19:53 »
If you have clay soil they can help as the soil improves over the years and helps with drainage, so I have them on my big lottie but not on the little lottie with its sandy soil. My raised beds have definitely been an advantage in the wet year we had last year but as Chrysalis says - it all depends on your individual situation.  I really appreciate mine :)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

The Golden Heap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 19:56 »
I find beds set out with timber edge easier to plan work and manage, I have five beds 2.4m x 5.4m.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 20:47 »
One other major advantage is improved drainage through the raised bed. My plot's on heavy clay, on a slope and the water goes nowhere at the bottom. At the moment it's an informal pond...

Raising my beds higher is my way of saving my dinners from drowning if this weather keeps up.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 21:05 »
snap, Surbie  :D I've noticed that people on pond allotments are the only ones with workable soil because the raised beds are usually above the water level in the pathways. In heavy rain years, this makes a huge difference aside from the benefits of non-compacted, richer soil.

Chrysalis

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 22:55 »
Note: Don't forget that they dry out in warm weather and will need lots of water.  Even last year the potato bags needed water...... though we seemed to get off pretty lightly in all other respects.  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 00:29 »
They need organic material and looking after, but then so do any other beds.  I didn't find mine more thirsty, compared to the people further up the slope who don't have raised beds - we seemed to water about the same.

Armleywhite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 09:02 »
Cheers for all the replies.  My initial idea was to just mark out sub plots for the various produce and then dig the entire area once harvested and re-plan the sub plots next year.  Might make digging a tad difficult in the pathways, but, as far as I can make out thats the only hard bit?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:34 »
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me - Good Luck  ;)

xx
novice onion grower - stupid question time

Started by annied on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 20:19
by annied
xx
Another stupid question

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 08:17
by cathangirl
xx
may be a stupid question

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 09:57
by operabunny
xx
another stupid question!!!

Started by Cara on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 21:45
by wighty

Page created in 0.981 seconds with 33 queries.