firming up their droppings

• 4 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
firming up their droppings
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:31 »
Hi,
I'm sorry to ask yet another poo related question, and as someone who's kept chicken for 3-4 yrs I'm a bit surprised to find myself asking this but we recently bought 3 "proper chickens" as opposed to our usual ex bats.  At the sellers, they'd been kept indoors, fed on a dry mix of corn and cereals and their droppings were lovely and firm.  We have them outside and feed with layers pellets plus occasional treats such as meal worms, corn, cooked rice (2-3 times a week)etc.
Their poos are now just like all my ex bats and very loose and Diarrhoea-ish - a splat rather than a solid (sorry!).  I dont think there's anything wrong with them as my ex bats have always been a bit like this but I wondered if anyone knows if I'm doing something wrong or how to get them back to the firm droppings from before?
Im am currently worming them (flubenvet) and have started putting Apple cider vinegar in the water (they ate the garlic clove last week!)
Cat

Springlands

Re: firming up their droppings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 11:02 »
It sounds like it is due to the change of diet or even just the change of environment. You say they are outside - are they on grass because if they are and are eating some of the grass (mine love to peck at grass) they would be getting more water and also more fibre.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 13:05 »
Hello, yes that would make sense - they are only on grass a couple of days a week but their run is on earth and they love digging for worms so i guess they are getting more water that way.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 16:48 »
PoosRus............................. http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0  :)

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 17:32 »
 :lol: :lol:  Just do not study when eating.   :lol: :lol:

question
DROPPINGS

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 23:12
by Bonniebean
xx
Loose droppings

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 18:37
by Topscaff
xx
watery droppings

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 19:00
by Tigerwren
xx
Droppings board

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 16:22
by Bodger

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 29 queries.