Escaping chicken

• 9 Replies

thechicken

Escaping chicken
« on: March 06, 2013, 07:26 »
Our chickens are allowed to free range the whole of the garden which is currently edges with a metre high chicken wire. We have previously never had a problem but now one of them has a desire to spend time in next doors garden and down the lane.
I dont want to clip her wings so was wondering if there were other ways to keep her in - any suggestions would be welcome.

Sassy

Re: Escaping chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51 »
Even if you clipped a wing the chances are she could still get over a metre high fence. The only thing you can do is to make the fence much higher. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

thechicken

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42 »
Guess this was going to be the answer - if we increase by another metre would that sound a reasonable height?

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27 »
It really depends on how determined they are to get out. We've found that it is important to stop the behaviour quickly or it becomes a habit. They could still fly above a 2 metre fence but will require more effort. You may find that if you clip a wing that it will work now but there are no guarantees. We have found that if you can break the behaviour it does not seem to recurr. They do seem to like confounding us though ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 10:37 »
I had just one girl who was intent to escape all the time and the other two would then follow. However, she just seemed to grow out of it. I wonder if as they get heavier as they get a bit older they just stop bothering.  I wonder if there's something happening in next door's garden that she's keen to investigate.  My mate has high hedges and fences but the chooks seem to have no trouble getting out if they feel like it. Bantams seem to be the worst culprits  :D

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 21:58 »
What height will keep bantams in?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32 »
Oh how they love a challenge!
To raise the fence could be expensive and, even if done, you'll need to be sure that they can't climb onto a launching pad to get over it. Suggest putting a horizontal piece of netting facing upwards and inwards on the top of the fence. They'll be wary of the shape and the loose edge will not provide support if they reach it.
Our bantams will easily clear 2 metres - especially if there is food on the other side!

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 18:46 »
I have a Rhode Island Red who has discovered how to get through the electrified wires of the fence which are 4" apart.

Every day she does it and runs back through it when I chase her. There is no special food for doing it she just does it for fun.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 18:33 »
Ah another hen with a sense of humour! :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 20:14 »
I found my newly grown bantam chicks were suddenly able to roost on the 6 foot fence and I was having to get them down and put them to bed each evening. So I stapled a length of chicken wire sloping inwards about a foot high to the top of the fence. Next night they were all lined up on top of the fence again BEHIND the new wire...very tricky to get them back and heaven knows how they got there. However persisting in getting them to bed has broken the habit and no escapees since end of last summer.

xx
She keeps escaping!!!!

Started by Little Devil on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 09:26
by Thrift
xx
Lola Keeps escaping

Started by warrenlovinmama on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:44
by Lewjam
xx
a little frustrated cheer me up please - escaping chucks

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 15:58
by ehs284
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 27 queries.