Fruit tree collars/protection?

• 5 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
Fruit tree collars/protection?
« on: February 18, 2013, 13:27 »
I have just bought some fruit trees and am looking to put them up the end of the garden however they will be out of sight. We do get deer and rabbits at the bottom of the garden so I am wondering how much I need to protect them. I see trees by the side of the road with some sort of collar on them, is this just for frost protection? I also see other trees with a 1m by 1m box fence around them which im guessing is more for protection from deer and rabbits. What I would like to know is what type of collar I need for my fruit trees or if I need any at all? These are fruit trees from Aldi and are about 4-5feet tall presently.

Thanks for any advice :)

Trillium

Re: Fruit tree collars/protection?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 13:54 »
Mostly it depends on whether or not the critters are actively munching on trees in your area. In times of extreme cold or heavy snow, deer and rabbits will eat almost anything. I've lost several roses, blueberry bushes and other shrubs to them. Mice will also nibble a fair bit, chewing off the outer layer to get to the juicy inner layer.

If you see others in your area putting up various types of collars, then for the small price of peace of mind, you might want to consider protecting your plants.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 14:47 »
Thanks for the reply. I know mice have chewed some roots of a couple of connifer trees I put out early last year. I have seen deer there and have seen rabbit droppings. It doesnt seem possible to protect the horizontal branches but the vertical main one I can make a small collar for but I wouldnt imagine them taking a bite out of that, or could they? It was my impression that these collars were mainly for frost and not critters.

Jamrock

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 18:04 »
I have protected all my trees with guards despite deer being very unlikely and rabbits also. They cost me too much to risk for the sake of an extra few pence. Deer can strip a young tree almost down to the ground

There is no reason to protect trees from frost other than early blossom

I highly recommend this site for tree supplies - http://www.acorn-planting-products.com/pages/product-range.php?gclid=CKLAvdW3wLUCFW_HtAodemUAww

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 18:26 »
If you think about it, a collar on the trunk can't protect a tree from frost. It's the flowers and subsequent fruit that you want to protect from frost, and that would need a sort of fleece blanket over the top.

But yes, deer, if hungry, will happily chew down a tree. A collar won't save the horizontal branches if in reach, but if the main trunk is not damaged and a bit of horizontal branches are saved, then the tree will recover even if it will look lopsided or whatever. Rabbits and mice prefer to 'girdle' the tree near the base, aka, strip off a ring of outer bark to get to the tender green centre area, which can definitely kill a young tree.

If you've seen deer and rabbits, then it's worth the small cost to make some sort of collars/wraps/fencing/whatever. Don't know about the UK but over here fruit trees are very expensive to replace for the sake of a bit of trunk protection.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 09:39 »
Thanks for the replies, I made some wraps or collars out of some correx sheet. I staked the trees into the ground then put the collars round the tree and tied them with garden twine to the stake. I have also made a raised box for all of them as the soil doesnt drain well around here.

xx
Tree bag protection

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2023, 16:00
by LILLILEAF
xx
Cherry tree protection!?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2015, 17:56
by ghost61
xx
Protection for small cherry tree

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 10:50
by Maryann
xx
frost protection for new fruit bushes?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 19:33
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.88 seconds with 37 queries.