What do you grow?

• 21 Replies

maxie

• Experienced Member
What do you grow?
« on: February 17, 2013, 23:34 »
And what have you packed in growing.
I must have tried everythng in my time but narrowed things down a bit the last couple of years,two bad weather years have kind of forced me into this.
I grow early,2nd early taties.
Peas.
Runner,broad and dwarf beans.
Carrots under mesh.
Cabbage,kale,red cabbage.
Sweetcorn.
Beetroot,radish,lettuce,spring onions,rocket,shallots,courgette,leek.
I might have missed a few off but ive permanently knocked climbng french beans on the head due to 3 poor harvests,its runners and dwarfs all the way.
Caulies and broccoli are off due to light soil and green caterpillars.
Onions are too cheap to buy so off the list.

compostqueen

Re: What do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 23:37 »
There are lots of different onions available which you never see in the shop and are well worth growing, plus if you eat lots of onions it has to be worth growing them.  I really like the Long Red onion of Florence. They're the bees knees  :)

Climbing borlotti beans look an absolute treat climbing up wigwams on the plot combined with a sunflower or two and sweet peas. I always grow them and then dry them off to eat in soups and stews  :)

lywcos

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 23:45 »
This is my first year gardening and so far I have only over wintered onions and garlic on my plot.

I'm still deciding on what to plant once I turn over the rest of the space. The three things I would love to grow would be sweetcorn, beetroot and carrots.

I have bought a few fruit trees to grow in pots in my garden and a lot of strawberry plants. I would also like to try runner beans in the garden.

I'm looking forward to the answers in this thread as I'm sure everyone has certain vegetables and fruit that can be trusted each year

yaxley

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 23:47 »
Well i have only been growing for one season grew loads of onions red and white as i love them also cabbage ,runners ,kale ,turnips ,parsnips ,all the salad stuff ,leeks [bad year ] carrots ,spring green kohl rabi this year want to try swedes and sweetcorn as well ..
Grow organic as nature intended

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 00:34 »
Sweetcorn is easy as long as you have somewhere to rear your plants  like a greenhouse or cold frame,put them out whne big enough and i always put a handful of pelleted chicken manure in the hole and water it in to give them a boost.
Beetroot easy just sow and grow,carots get yourself a bit of envirmesh it will be the best £20 you ever spend as young carrots are one of the gardens real treats.
Dig your soil,then i rake it,remove the stones,then rake and rake deeply,sow the carrot rows,then get some cloche supports,alkathene pipesetc and cover with the mesh,if its dry water each day,slugs love the young plants so give them slug poison till they are big enough,then thin them fairly hard,as ive said you cannot  buy a carrot like you can grow,not even close.
Runners are easy i start mine n the greenhouse,but if i start them in the soil i have to slug pellet them again as they just mow them off at the stem

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 08:42 »
I grow peas (winter cabbages go in their space after they are harvested)

Other brassicas -summer cabbage, Autumn calabrese and swede.

Climbing beans (give bigger crops than dwarf if you find a good variety for your site) french, runner and shelling beans.

Sweetcorn with winter squash and courgettes planted around the edges.

Potatoes - early spuds are followed by leeks.

Salad and Long Red Florence onions are fitted in wherever there's room

ooh nearly forgot the garlic!  Tomatoes, peppers and chillis are in the greenhouses at home

:) as is a patch of carrots

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:13 »
I'm really going for it this year...well that is the plan anyway..as it was last year and failed for one reason or another..the first being work, the 2nd being the weather. Im hoping to pack plenty of smallish blocks of lots of things:
Early Spuds - charlottes, Main Crop - Maris Pipers,Broad Beans,Peas,French Beans, Onions, Leeks,Garlic,Little Gem,Cabbage, swiss chard, Parsnips,Carrots, beetroot, radishes, about 10 different types of squashes, sweetcorn.
And at home - 3 types of tomatoes, about 4 types of chillies/peppers, aubergines, okra - all in the conservatory on the windowsill.
Got nothing in the plot yet - harvested the remaining parsnips and leeks yesterday, but got parsnips and carrots in newspaper tubes (bit of an experiment), leeks, garlics and broad beans in the cold frame along with some lettuces, beetroots and radishes for hopefully an early picking.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06 »
I grow peas (winter cabbages go in their space after they are harvested)

Other brassicas -summer cabbage, Autumn calabrese and swede.

Climbing beans (give bigger crops than dwarf if you find a good variety for your site) french, runner and shelling beans.

Sweetcorn with winter squash and courgettes planted around the edges.

Potatoes - early spuds are followed by leeks.

Salad and Long Red Florence onions are fitted in wherever there's room

ooh nearly forgot the garlic!  Tomatoes, peppers and chillis are in the greenhouses at home

:) as is a patch of carrots

Sadly ive had to give up on the climbing french beans as i havent hd much off them the lastthree years,in a warm season they are great but im sticking to runners from now on.

Rexmundi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:31 »
I'm a first timer (although I did grow some potatoes and onions last year at my previous address). I've created a 40m2 veg patch at my new address and this year I intend to grow: potatoes, onions, carrotts, leeks and cabbage. It will be interesting to see how I get on and I think this forum and all your comments will be invaluable!
Scotland, 95% pure Scottish since 08/05/2015

Azazello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:54 »
Just been d=compiling my list this morning

yellow beetroot
garlic
onions
parsnips
yellow white and orange carrots (in the garden)
calabrese
dwarf French beans
runners
leeks
chard
lettuce
spuds

I'll add a few things along the way I dare say but that's about it for now. I want to see if I can manage the planning better than I have done in previous years and end up with carrots, potatoes and onions for storage, and have brocolli going through the summer etc.

Last year was a damp squib with plenty of fails, potatoes in the garden excepted, so will see how that goes this year.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 13:00 »
I'm going for lots more squash this year, and trying a few new things (marrows, sweetcorn, aubergines, cucamelons, pak choi) as well as things that worked well for me last year (cukes, dwarf beans, chillies, courgettes, beetroot, swede) and trying to get the timings better - I was late all through the season last year.

I find the diaries are really helpful to see what people are growing - and the search button usually gets you detailed info on particular varieties.

I'm not growing fennel this year, or chicory. Didn't really like either. Carrots are on the 'at risk' list, as are tomatoes and sorrel as they didn't do too well for me.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 14:36 »
I think Florence fennel is my fave veg.  I may well give up on aubs. I am sicking and tired of getting poor results despite growing every variety going  :D  I say it every year mind you and then cave at the last minute  :)

candygold1

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 16:28 »
lots of onions
anya news and maris piper main crop
spinach
strawberries
everlasting onions
early nantes and autumn king carrots
sweetcorn
runner and climbing french beans
various salad crops
leeks
cabbage
swede
asparagus
parsnips for the inlaws
broad beans

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 16:54 »
I grow:

Broad beans
French climbing beans (I like Blauhilde)
Mange tout - I grow yellow, green and purple varieties (I like Shiraz)
Peas - I am trying some new varieties including DD's heritage pea
Various Radishes
Carrots - I usually grow in large half barrels, but am trying in the soil this year
Celery
1st early and salad potatoes
Pak Choi
Runner Beans
Leeks
Sweetcorn - Swift
Courgettes - round, yellow and green
Patty Pans
Pumpkins of various sizes
Winter Squash - winter festival is a favourite,I am trying uchikuri as recommended on here
Cabbages - sweetheart mainly
Cauliflowers - no luck this year as they rotted off, but excellent last year
PSB - no luck last year, but this year looks better
Onions - overwintering but do get slightly affected with white rot
Shallots - I am trying a new experiment as they get badly affected by white rot, if it fails, I will cease growing them
Garlic - terrible crop last year but year before was amazing
Chard
Spinach
Beetroot - yellow and red
Salad leaves - rocket, mixed leaves, watercress, gem lettuce
Turnips - mainly small white Japanese variety
Spring onions - red and white
Kale
swede
Various herbs - perennial and annual
Globe Artichokes - not a favourite with everyone in our house but I am stuck with them now!

In Greenhouse:
Tomatoes - lots of different varieties
Chillis - I overwinter these, they are still producing now
Aubergines
Peppers
Coriander
Cucumbers
Gherkins
Basil - red, green and Thai
Chinese Gooseberries

Fruit:
Pears
Plums
Peaches
Nectarines
Apples
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Raspberries
Blackcurrants
White and redcurrants
Gooseberries
Grapes
Figs
Cherries
Blueberries

I am going to try parsnips, now my soil has improved to the stage where I can chance these.  I am also going to try asparagus (if my plants ever arrive!).  I would also like to try Florence Fennel - not sure my family will eat it, but it is worth a try.

I have stopped growing red cabbage as nobody will eat it!  Like CompostQueen, I am also considering giving up on aubergines as they seem to take forever to crop and the woodlice seem to get them before I can harvest them!

I really didn't realise I grew so much!  I have taken over another half plot, so I guess the quantities will increase now.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 16:56 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 21:53 »
Thats some variety angelavdavis  :ohmy:
I only grew  the yellow beetroot once its ok fresh but i pickled some one year it was just nasty lol!Ive tried a fair few varieties of red beetroot but i dont think you can beat boltardy,the first beetroot of the year is always a treat i grow some under a cloche its usually ready first week in june.

xx
melons... to grow on or not to grow on

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 13:32
by JayG
clip
To grow or not to grow, that is the question

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 20:54
by Pescador
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
What to grow?

Started by hereshoping on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 21:28
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 30 queries.