greenhouse floor

• 31 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: greenhouse floor
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 16:41 »
My greenhouse has a soil floor but is carpeted down the middle. Is this the only carpeted greenhouse in the country? It works for me and stops me getting muddy feet when I spill water all over the place.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13 »
If it works for you then carry on m'dear! :) :)

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 10:16 »
I have paving slabs on the floor center and am going to put down wood slats, like a board but it will let water drain, the idea is it maybe better to stand on.
Reg
I'm lost without my SatNav.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 07:55 »
My Gh sits on a weed membrane .... if I spill water it soaks away I have never really thought of having a bed in there I am happy growing in bags or pots.   I have little helpers to water the plants of a morning before school :)
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 10:25 »
If your greenhouse has a concrete floor try to incorporate a small gap in whatever base you use to enable you to get rid of excess water easily.

I built mine on a pre-existing concrete base which slopes slightly in two directions - laying a few courses of bricks to raise the height was therefore quite "interesting" but water drains out naturally towards a 1" gap I left at the lowest end. The gap can be plugged if necessary to stop nasties crawling in, but comes in particularly handy when hosing down the interior.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

starry

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 19:44 »
Having now had my green house for a few weeks now I am fed up with walking around on a wet floor from the rain which has formed a puddle just by the door so I have decided to invest in some green house matting it comes in tile form 30 cm square with an anti fungal something impregnated into the tile, has any one got any experience of these? They are fairly expensive so want to make sure they are right,  :lol:
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 14:46 »
Ive just put slabs down the centre of mine, with membrane and gravel. :D :D

scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 20:55 »
Ive just put slabs down the centre of mine, with membrane and gravel. :D :D

That's what I have too. :)

mikeimp

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 11:43 »
Our greenhouse floor is slabs and grow tomatoes on the floor in growbags with cucumbers in large pots sitting in old washing up bowls with gravel in which I use to water in.They all seem to go ok and and hot summer days LOL like others suggesting I water the floor to keep the humidity up.Thats something you would have difficulty in doing with a soil base.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 12:49 »
cukes like humidity, but tomatoes don't need it - and it can encourage botrytis to spread, as already posted above  :(

Annieh78

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33 »
I have two greenhouse floor problems

1. How do I manage the water runoff? The floor slopes down gently towards the door.
Perhaps I should put small stones on the floor to "strain" the runoff before it escapes?

2. It gets really cold here in Tasmania. I thought of painting the floor black with paving paint to catch the heat during the day. Is that a waste of time?

PS The greenhouse has only just been completed and I still have to line it with something to improve its heat retention overnight. Haven't got many plants in there yet ...

Thanks in advance ...

(The first pic shows the greenhouse while it was still under construction and the other pic shows the polycarbonate cladding)
greenhouse3.jpg
greenhouse4.jpg

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 16:39 »
Now I'm no technical whizz with this sort of thing, but the small stones idea will help keep some of the water in the greenhouse and will increase your humidity levels, which cukes will love but toms tend to like a drier area.
Perhaps keep the toms at the top of your slope and cukes nearer the base of the slope for instance :unsure:
If you wanted the water to completely leave the greenhouse, then small stones  would not be the way to go - you'd need a smooth channel, like gutter pipe down the edge, but then do you have somewhere like a drain outside for the water to go??

Not sure about painting the floor black - it may be worth a try but I have never heard of anyone else doing it, but then weed membrane tends to be black and I have this plus small stones on the floor of my greenhouse, not sure it makes a difference.

Not sure if that is a help to you but good luck.
I'm rather envious of the size and shape of your greenhouse incidently :D

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 18:39 »
What temperature range do  you get over there?

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 22:09 »
400mm bog standard buff square slabs on about 50mm sharp sand, laid in the GH before the glass went in...;0)

Easily draining, and with trays for watering each big pot, we've got 16 tomato plants and six cuces in as well as some chilli peps - all on the floor of course!

So far, it seems so much better than the old floor we had, which was just a few concrete blocks with bare soil each side and at the end. I was also worried about blight hanging around in there too, so its new soil/compost in each pot this year.

Stree

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 00:04 »
Whats a versatile floor tile? Does it cook , sew and have a dance routine and a sideline in accountancy?

xx
Greenhouse floor is pebbles - how to clean?

Started by reddytogarden on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2018, 01:50
by John
xx
Got Another greenhouse.

Started by Ma Lowe on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 23:39
by Ma Lowe
xx
When is it too hot in a greenhouse?

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:46
by Yana
xx
Greenhouse already 35 oC

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:41
by hubballi

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 39 queries.