Advice Fox prowling

• 14 Replies

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
Advice Fox prowling
« on: December 02, 2007, 13:56 »
Hi everyone can you help with some advice?
The weather is awful, torrential rain, and high winds, but I still let my chooks have free range this morning, however, we spotted a fox making off with one of my ladies :cry:  :cry: I put them all away into their houses, although not sure if this was the right thing to do, as it means they will be inside till tomorrow. They have food and water in their houses, but I do not like to confine them during the day. The fox has been around a lot, as he is used to picking off the chooks when they are on their own. I want to get him to move on. I do not want to have my chooks in a run, so what would you all do?
I intend to start to breed chickens from next Spring, and am still deciding which breed to go with, what are your suggestions.
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 14:08 »
The answer to your fox problem depends on the scale of your chook venture and the space to protect  :!:

Just a few hens can be protected in a fox proof run while you're not around to watch over them.  An ultra sonic device can be used to 'deter' the fox from coming too near, I believe they are effective but some people are sceptical.  

Foxes get used to their territory and don't like change so moving things around will upset them.  You can move plant pots into the route they take, put up a small fence and move its position occasionally.  It all makes them nervous.

If the space the hens are in is larger though and electric fence would be the best solution.

Bodger

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 14:09 »
He knows where the food bar is now I'm afraid and will patrol regularly.

He needs sorting out in a permanent way. I don't know what your views are on this or what sort of area you live in but you could do with contacting a local gamekeeper or fieldsports enthusiast who will do the job quicky and with a minimum of fuss.

Day time foxes are a nightmare.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 14:18 »
Quite true Bodger, but it depends on your location. You're a country man so probably know how to find a game keeper or field sports person.  I live on a housing estate on the edge of a village and don't even know a farmer  :roll: There's not many gamekeepers etc. in towns but loads or urban foxes.  :evil:

My FoxWatch has kept our local foxes out of my garden so far (2 1/2 years)

Viv

• Experienced Member
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 14:20 »
Thanks Bodger
I have no problems with someone coming to de[atch humanely. or to move it to open countryside. When are the fox cubs due, I would not like to see them harmed.
Go on all of you, say it, you cann't be soft when a fox has become predatory with the hens.
Any more advice?  :?:

Selkie

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 14:21 »
even if you get someone to kill that fox, isn't there a chance that another fox will move into that territory?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 14:21 »
Electric Fence Viv  :!:

Viv

• Experienced Member
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 14:24 »
I have an acre of land with a pond surrounded by tree is the middle. I have at the moment 20 hens, but this will increase with the better weather. I can install an electic fence, what height would you have the tapes?
Again many thanks for all your help. We are very rural and I do know a local farmer who may oblige.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 14:26 »
I've no idea about electric fences I'm afraid.  I've only got a tiny back garden  :roll:

Bodger and others will know though  :D

mercury

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 14:30 »
Try this viv, www.trapman.co.uk

Foxy

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 14:47 »
We have a lot of foxes and live in a rural area. Firstly, cubs are born around March/April and the vixens in late spring are very bold in order to feed their cubs. October the cubs generally will seek their own territory. So as you see late spring can be dangerous as well as winter when food is scarce. The problem is foxes have very defined routes and if he has found your hens he will just keep coming back and they are very very resourceful I'm afraid. Killing your fox will be OK for a while then another will just fill the space. We use electric poultry fencing 50m 1.2m high and is very effective. We have attached to an "energiser"which attaches to the fence and this is powered by a leisure battery - lasts about 6weeks before recharging. (we have an energiser that can power X3 50m fences sometimes attach more than one)I have seen Mr.Fox actually pace around the fence no closer than 2 foot as if he knew it was on. There are a lot of "starter kits" available on the internet you could check out and they are also very helpful! Hope this helps!  :D

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Mr Fox!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 17:15 »
I agree with others re-electric poultry netting. I've used it for about 4 years now and never lost one of my girls! I started with 50 metres of fencing but have since doubled it so it's very large and they have plenty of space to explore. We move it around every few months as well so they get to explore new territory!

Have heard people warn that this fencing is dangerous to hedgehogs but (touch wood) have never seen one caught in the netting and we do have them in the garden.

We used a leisure battery at first but as they get old they don't hold the charge very long. If the fencing is near enough to a power supply then I'd suggest using a box and the mains. It gives a real whack, no fox would venture through it and the girls just seem to keep their distance.

You can get the netting from the internet cheaper than the shops, a wise investment if you plan to expand your flock!

Good luck!

Judi

Bodger

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 18:23 »
Fox cubs tend to be born around February time. You will start to hear  foxes calling in the next few weeks as the mating season starts.

Foxes will always move into an area, but its not every fox that hunts in the daytime. This one must be fairly deperate for food and will return.

mashauk

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 19:51 »
I love the urban foxes (but then I don't keep chooks), the ones down the allotment love to dig up our potatoes - usually a couple of times then the get bored and bring us presents, footballs, tennis balls, golf balls, KFC wrappers (gross) - all sorts of things.  The male (who I've named Basil, yes I know I'm sad and don't understand these things as I'm a townie blah blah blah) walked right past me not so long ago and took a pee on the fence.  I think they've come to an understanding with the feral cats, they take it in turns to dig for me!  I saw some cubs on a main road behind a billboard and they were the cutest things I'd ever seen.

mercury

Advice Fox prowling
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 20:19 »
Try this very interesting site, www.foxforest.org

xx
Advice fox prowling

Started by paddy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2007, 23:45
by paddy
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice please.

Started by karenjayne on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 08:57
by karenjayne
xx
Set up advice please :-)

Started by Bluebell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 18:47
by Bluebell

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 29 queries.