Set up advice please :-)

• 9 Replies

Bluebell

« on: May 28, 2007, 07:38 »
Hello....newbie here!  :D

I'd really love some chickens for eggs but I don't have a huge garden. OH isn't keen on keeping them on the grass as we haven't got much lawn as it is. We are planning on converting our shed, and adding a covered outside run, with access to the garden for part of the day when the weather is dry and I'm home.

Would this set up work? Would parasites build up in the run as I've read the run should be moved around regularly :?

We were also thinking maybe 2 or 3 bantams would be better for us. Are they good layers? Are the eggs tiny? Would they be able to 'hold their own' with my cats and dog around?

Thanks for any advice given  :)

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:18 »
Hi Bludbell and Welcome.  :D

You don't need to move a run around,  as long as you ensure it is kept clean, etc.  On the other queries, someone with lots of experience will help you on that shortly.  I'm sure you will enjoy having chickens.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Set up advice please :-)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:32 »
Many people use a converted shed for their hens and as long as the outside run is big enough for the number of hens you want it will be fine.  It is a good idea to make a cover over the run to keep it dry - mud is not good for chickens feet.  If you have foxes around you must make sure the run and shed are fox proofed.  

You could get loads of bantams in a shed.  They are not as good a layer as a medium sized hen and tend to go broody very easily., but their little eggs are just as nice as any.

Hens can usually look after themselves with regard to cats, but I'm not sure about bantams, and I think a dog with a bantam would be very risky.  Dogs should never be trusted with hens and should always be chaperoned with them.

Chickens are enchanting animals and it is wise (as you are doing) to get as much information about their care as possible before getting them  :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:41 »
Hiya bluebell welcome to the forum,
I'm a shed man, I have three warrens that have the back 1/2 of a 8x6 shed with a 8x4 covered run.
Someone gave me a banty egg and their quite small compared to a large fowl egg.
Shed's are ideal to keep hens in, but lift them up a little off the floor to help keep the vermin away.
I have two cats that have soon learnt not to tangle with a hen !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

cornfed

bantys
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 19:46 »
hi bluebell i have a few bantys, the eggs are small but very tasty, and make the best yorkshire pud ever, as far as dogs go i have 2 border collies and one of my bantys sheila  definatley has the last word, my dogs walk straight past the pen and darent even look in there if she is at the edge, i think youll find that most hens are the boss.

cornfed

banty eggs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 19:48 »
sorry forgot to say yes they are good layers too!

Bluebell

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 07:33 »
Hi everyone.....and thanks for the welcome and good advice :D  :D  :D
Much appreciated!

If my garden was bigger I could fence a bit off for the chickens and then I'd not have to worry about the dog. And I'd hate to keep chickens if they couldn't freerange safely for at least some of the day  :?

It's good to know that a static shed would be fine as housing though - just the dog problem to solve now  :lol:

Cornfed, can I ask which you had first please? The chickens or the dogs?
I have a feeling I'm going to have to wait a few more years before I can get my chickens - either that or move!  :lol:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:32 »
Hello, hope you do get some chickens they are so much fun and quite funny.  They do destroy borders and flowers with their dust baths but this can be overcome with a dust tray like Aunt Sally uses. I have put a bit of green chicken wire round my borders till they are better established and bigger plants seem to manage to survive their onslaughts.  They do poo a bit but on the whole the grass only benefits by it.  I have Ducks and Geese too and they do poo in quantity so best not to go there!!

We have 2 Labradors living with us at the moment and my sister brings her Doberman and daughters Staffie also comes, so far none of these have been a problem and my cats were not interested at all, in fact Rosie was petrified of them.(Sadly Ithey have all passed away now)  I don't think you will have a problem and fresh eggs, nothing beats it.
Good Luck
xxx

cornfed

bantys
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 17:44 »
hi  sorry i couldnt reply earlier, i had my oldest dog first before the chickens, she still shows abit of interest in them now and again, but a stern word to her and she loses interest pretty quickly, the youngest dog isnt that bothered about them as he has been brought up around them, but you must let your dogs see the chickens to get them used to them, the novelty wears off after a few days and believe me the chucks will let them know if they show too much interest as my  meg found out when she was young, when my legbar cockerel pecked her nose when she put it through the pen wire, needless to say she has never done that again!

Bluebell

Re: bantys
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 18:47 »
Thanks for the reply Slowef  :D
I'm hoping my cats would be as uninterested as yours were. They are almost 13 so they're quite laid back these days.

Quote from: "cornfed"
the chucks will let them know if they show too much interest as my  meg found out when she was young, when my legbar cockerel pecked her nose when she put it through the pen wire, needless to say she has never done that again!

:lol: I hope my dog would learn his lesson that quickly!  :lol:
Thanks cornfed  :D

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice Please.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:19
by richyrich7
xx
advice please on my new hen

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 07:10
by joyfull
xx
advice

Started by rdaitch on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2007, 22:28
by purplebat

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.