Hedges in allotment

• 17 Replies

Suaz

Hedges in allotment
« on: January 27, 2013, 22:14 »
Hello all,

I've been offered a choice of two allotment plots of about 125 square meters each. One of the plots has a line of deciduous hedges bordering the southern edge of the plot and another line  of hedges about 2/3 of the way into the plot, effectively dividing the plot into two. I'm not sure what the hedges are but to my inexpert eye they look like they could be hawthorn or blackthorn. They are grey and without fruit or foliage at this time of the year and about 2 meters high.

I'll be cultivating on shallow, chalky soil and my concern is that the roots of the hedges will deprive my crop of water and nutrients, and also shade one third of the plot. Will the presence of these hedgerows impact negatively on the growth of my vegetable beds and will I have to work harder to make my crops thrive?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedges in allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 22:24 »
Welcome to the site  :D

Yes, they will compete for nutrients and water.  They will also cast shade as you say.

Does the other plot have different drawbacks?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 22:36 »
Is it a windy site? Could the hedge be a windbreak?
Anne

Suaz

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 22:46 »
Hi, thanks for the welcome   :)

Yes, it does. The other plot is sunny and open but is rather long and narrow and overlooked by a not very attractive looking house. Also it is bordered on both sides by well tended and cultivated plots but it lacks privacy as it more of a long strip of land without any living or non-living fence separating it from the neighbouring plots. There is a rather romantic-looking but dilapidated greenhouse on it, which would be useful once restored but would take quite a lot of work to repair. Other than that, there's a clear expanse of land to do as I like with and I can't see any weeds other than grass growing on it.

The other plot, the one I was talking about earlier, is bordered on both sides by uncultivated and overgrown plots. They have been strimmed down recently by the council but remain unallocated. The hedgerows are not thick but they are taller than I'd have liked and the central one is situated rather undesirably in the midst of the plot rather than on the border where it would have been more useful. The plot also has raised beds which are covered with plastic mulch, however there's grass and weeds growing through and around it. I think I may have to remove the wooden planks in order to properly deal with the weeds, which could be a pain.

My allotment experience is from my partner's plot which has wonderful views but is on a terribly windy, exposed site, so I was hoping that mine would be a bit more sheltered and productive! Having two allotments between us is hard work, so we were not sure whether we should opt for the other one as it seems potentially less work?

Suaz

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 22:51 »
Is it a windy site? Could the hedge be a windbreak?

I was there today and it was quite blustery due to the weather but I don't think the site as such is particularly windy. The plot is at the bottom of a hill. Certainly, my partner's allotment is more exposed being on a hilltop.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 23:10 »
Do you know what the site's policy is on maintaining or reducing hedges? My plot has had a 25ft+ high blackthorn hedge running along the whole south side for the whole of the year I've had it. The Committee agreed at the end of last year to let me take it down to 6feet, and the difference is enormous in terms of light. Blackthorn grows FAST so it'll be a case of ongoing maintenance if you take that on.

The other thing to watch out for is that blackthorn spreads through suckers, so your beds will likely be as riddled with young blackthorn or aspiring blackthorn as mine. They are tenacious!

The easier option is definitely to go for the one bordered by looked-after plots - you can always grow a windbreak of brambles or use fruit trees as espalier-fencing (if you're allowed fruit trees). The one next to overgrown plots will get additional weed seeds too.

Good luck, whichever you choose. Lovely to have a choice though!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 23:11 by surbie100 »

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 23:11 »
My plot has a hedge on two sides and I love it. It keeps the wind off and it gives me a bit of privacy.  It got cut down too far once by the guy who lives on the other side and it allowed deer to get into my plot  :nowink:  It's always filled with birds and has damsons and elderberries in it, and blackberries, and I love it.  I manage to garden quite close to it and if it does encroach I hack bits off.  If you use muck and home made composts the veg will have sufficient nutrients

It has a cut every year, if possible, and a more drastic hair cut every other year to keep it in shape and make sure it's in good condition.  I have to cut it when there are no birds nesting in it of course  :)

Suaz

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 23:37 »
Do you know what the site's policy is on maintaining or reducing hedges? My plot has had a 25ft+ high blackthorn hedge running along the whole south side for the whole of the year I've had it.

They will allow trees or hedges up to 2 meters (approx 6 feet) high. 25ft+ sounds huge!

The easier option is definitely to go for the one bordered by looked-after plots - you can always grow a windbreak of brambles or use fruit trees as espalier-fencing (if you're allowed fruit trees). The one next to overgrown plots will get additional weed seeds too.

My thoughts too. The espalier fencing would certainly look very attractive and it is allowed on the site so that could be a way to deal with the less than pretty views. And the inblown weed seeds in the other plot could make for a lot of extra work.

My plot has a hedge on two sides and I love it. It keeps the wind off and it gives me a bit of privacy.  It got cut down too far once by the guy who lives on the other side and it allowed deer to get into my plot  :nowink:  It's always filled with birds and has damsons and elderberries in it, and blackberries, and I love it.  I manage to garden quite close to it and if it does encroach I hack bits off.  If you use muck and home made composts the veg will have sufficient nutrients

It has a cut every year, if possible, and a more drastic hair cut every other year to keep it in shape and make sure it's in good condition.  I have to cut it when there are no birds nesting in it of course  :)

It sounds very beautiful and a great way to attract birds and other wildlife to the plot. I think I would have liked the hedge more if it didn't split the plot in such a inconvenient way. I was wondering whether I might be able to move the hedge to the northern border. That way I'd have more of a central area to cultivate. Is this a feasible proposition or would it be too big of a task to dig out the roots and destructive to the hedge? Would now be a good time of the year to prune it or to move it?

jezza

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 23:59 »
if the hedge is a blackthorn(sloe) you could make sloe gin 5 Lbs of sloes 1pint of gin leave for 3monthes then enjoy  jezza

surbie100

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:22 »
I was wondering whether I might be able to move the hedge to the northern border. That way I'd have more of a central area to cultivate. Is this a feasible proposition or would it be too big of a task to dig out the roots and destructive to the hedge? Would now be a good time of the year to prune it or to move it?

Sounds like you are thinking more of the hedged plot than the other... :)

You could certainly try it, as a hedge running down the middle is a pain, but it will be quite a bit of work. Blackthorn roots run horizontally in the main, so are slightly easier to get out than those that go straight down! I hope you can get some helpers if that's the route you decide on - and check that you are allowed to move it first. If your hedge is only blackthorn, you might want to see if you can get some other native hedging plants to diversify it a bit. Excess blackthorn is good for adding security to site fencing, so our 'spares' never go to waste!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42 »
My plot is completely enclosed by hawthorn and buckthorn hedge that I planted some years ago. I wouldn't be without it but there are pros and cons:

Pros
It keeps other people out (thinking of thieves and vandals)
great windbreak (quite important)
great for wildlife, especially birds
looks lovely
defines the boundary of your plot very clearly

cons
it needs regular maintenance
will cast shade (on your plot and your neighbour) if it grows too high
you lose the width of the hedge plus about a foot in growing space
you will need access to your neighbour's plot to prune it on their side, or rely on them doing it for you.

The maintenance of the hedge is my biggest problem - over the winter I prune it back to 5 ft high and 3 ft wide which requires using loppers and a saw, and results in many cuts and scratches  :) . I use a hedge trimmer on the sides during the summer (but only after the nesting birds are finished). I think it's worth the effort, others may disagree  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 10:06 »
It's your hedge and if you tend it then that's fine. Where would we be without our native hedgerows? 

If they are kept in bounds they don't cast much shade. I keep my compost bins along my hedge lines and grow the comfrey there.  I also let the nettles grow there which get used for making compost and tea

surbie100

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12 »
The maintenance of the hedge is my biggest problem - over the winter I prune it back to 5 ft high and 3 ft wide which requires using loppers and a saw, and results in many cuts and scratches  :) . I use a hedge trimmer on the sides during the summer (but only after the nesting birds are finished). I think it's worth the effort, others may disagree  :)

I'd agree too - it's great for wildlife and I'm very happy to keep mine and to look after it. The one bordering my plot just hadn't been managed at all for years and had got way out of hand. My plot was in 3/4 shade for most of the day for much of the year. It's much better now I've lopped it  :D. The trimmings provided enough wood for a site bonfire and useful poles to keep the swathes of bramble in our wild bit at bay.

Suaz, I was also wondering whether the hedge running down the middle might possibly be the offspring of the other hedge that is on the south border? My hedge threw up a second hedge 2-3metres away from the first, and that established itself really, really quickly. If you didn't want to have the same native hedge on both borders, you could always create a second hedge/windbreak with espaliers/other hedging along the northside.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:32 by surbie100 »

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:29 »
I use hedging twigs for kindling and for my peas and beans supports. Canes come from China so using hedgerow material is all good news  :)

Christine

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 17:55 »
Wouldn't be without my hedges which cover up a mulitude of bad fences - they are very old and full of ivy which feeds the birds with its fruit at a time of the year when there is nothing else much around. The return is sparrows, noisy little blighters, blackbirds and thrushes with various tits and robins in passing.

xx
Edible Hedges

Started by Jasmine123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 29, 2016, 13:01
by strangerachael
xx
Which allotment shall I have

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 21:16
by jackiestagg
xx
new allotment

Started by riverside on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 10:00
by fatbelly
xx
new allotment

Started by Sparky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:39
by gillie

Page created in 0.557 seconds with 31 queries.