onions

• 15 Replies

roonyin

onions
« on: January 16, 2013, 23:31 »
where can i buy decent onion sets not shallots,greentails cybies,spring onions etc the  proper onions
MANS INHUMANITY TO MAN MAKES COUNTLESS NATIONS MOURN

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:31 »
Wilko's in Ayr should have some decent onion sets, failing that, most DIY stores/garden centres. Spring onions you'll get as a packet of seed from them.

Sorry, I haven't a clue what "greentails cybies" is.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 07:48 »
think greentails are a kind of shrimp.lol

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05 »
i know your post says onion sets but have you considered growing them from seed,nows the time to be planting,lots of choice of varieties as well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 08:15 »
Having done a bit of Googling, it appears that "cybies" is a Scots name for Spring Onions and Green Tails is a generic term covering them, as well as bunching onions.

SG6

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 14:06 »
Wilkinsons may have some in, mine hasn't yet, but poundland does have 2 varieties in.
So if you have a poundland around drop ina and grab some. Think theirs are Stutgarter and Setton.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 15:33 »
I have always wondered - are the pound land  ones actually any good? If they are then why are they so much cheaper than buying them from the seed companies etc?

Agatha

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 15:36 »
I've bought from poundstretcher in the past - reasonable crop for the price, though had a bit of a bolting problem.

My local garden centre's onion sets came in this week.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 15:41 »
i had a good crop from poundland sets last year..out of 2 bags only 3 went to seed,,still have lots hanging in the shed

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 22:49 »
Having done a bit of Googling, it appears that "cybies" is a Scots name for Spring Onions
That's right  ;)

I'm still puzzling over the difference in eating young green onions and those sold specifically as spring onions ..... 

I have always wondered - are the pound land  ones actually any good?
They were fine last year for me - but we grew them in pots close together intending to use them young.   The sets were more likely to throw up seed leaves than those grown from seed.  We didn't grow them on as keepers, so can't comment there.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52 »
If they are then why are they so much cheaper than buying them from the seed companies etc?

The seed business is like a lot of business - a seed merchant buys seed in bulk then sells on to the commercial suppliers who then repackage and sell them on to the public at a profit.  Well known seed suppliers rely on their name for sales so their profit margins will be much higher - people are more likely to buy from a "proper" seed shop than off a market stall.  Something like Pound land/Wilkos/supermarkets have other business interests so are not reliant on just seed sales and hence can sell the same seed (possibly re-packaged) more cheaply and as you are probably going to buy something else while in the same shop, will still make a profit  ;)

I've bought from poundstretcher in the past - reasonable crop for the price, though had a bit of a bolting problem.

Bolting is more likely due to planting too early (warm spring followed by a chill) and last year was definitely no exception - very mild in March/early April but by May was very cold.  Also bear in mind shop conditions - sets stored at optimum conditions are then displayed in heated shop floors then taken home and planted in cold soil .....

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:54 »
As long as sets feel firm and they have no signs of mould they will be fine from wherever you buy them.

Suppliers such as Poundland tend to have only the more common varieties (others have explained their supply routes) so if you want anything beyond that it is garden centres or mail order.

Most are happy with the good all round serviceable onion varieties that are commonly available tbh, and why not -- they are decent onions  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 16:42 »
Mmm ok. Well I have ordered mine from Dobies now but next year... What about fruit bushes etc? Are they any good from the cheap places?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 21:07 »
like the onions and shallots, the range of varieties you see will be limited (or be a bit of an unknown eg just says blueberry or blackcurrant)  I bought a couple of cheap bushes and they have been fine, but I have to admit I felt a lot happier going to the garden centre where the plants were outside and I could get a closer look at them before purchasing.

Agatha

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 14:00 »

Bolting is more likely due to planting too early (warm spring followed by a chill) and last year was definitely no exception - very mild in March/early April but by May was very cold.  Also bear in mind shop conditions - sets stored at optimum conditions are then displayed in heated shop floors then taken home and planted in cold soil .....
[/quote]

Poundstretcher onions were planted on the same day as the other ones which didn't bolt at all, so think it must be down to quality/storage issues rather than planting.  Have had this problem two years running, but as I say, at £1 per bag instead of £3 I am still happy with the crop, though i wouldn't plant only cheap sets as the range is very limited (only 1 red and 1 yellow type).

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 28 queries.