Laying after Moult

• 6 Replies

Prod

Laying after Moult
« on: January 05, 2013, 18:41 »
I bought 2 POL in August, to add to my small flock that I bought in March, a Welsummer and a Copper Black Maran.  The older girls had gone into moult round about September so no eggs but the 2 new girls started laying last month.  Today I went to check and my lovely Cream Legabar, Sugar, had produced a nice blue egg for me  so I am hoping the others will start soon too. Zsa Zsa, the Ancona, had a lump last summer but which has now disappeared (I posted about it)  I examined her today and she is really healthy and a good weight. I really hope she starts laying again as the breeder I got her from suggested culling which obviously I didnt do Plus she lays gorgeous tasting white eggs. :blink:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Laying after Moult
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 22:50 »
It is really difficult being patient isn't it Prod.  They are always worth the long wait though.  I hope that Zsa Zsa starts laying soon.   :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:47 »
Yes it is....  to be honest even at 2 eggs a day I would get more than enough so when all six start laying  I think I might have to put a sign up at the gate!!!  I really dont mind if Zsa Zsa doesnt lay  but I am glad I kept her she is such a lovely looking girl :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 16:40 »
My neighbours buy my excess eggs which helps cover the cost of the feed.   :D

Prod

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 17:54 »
Ive got 4 laying now :) but the second POL I bought last August, a Welsummer, and Zsa Zsa  still arent laying..... The columbian blacktail was sat on 8 in the hedge, god knows why as she always laid in the coop last year, so I have already been giving eggs away.  I put a marble egg in one of the nest boxes which seemed to work for the Copper Maran who was also laying in the hedge but today went I went to lock them up and check for eggs the marble egg was out on the floor which I thought strange as there is a removable plank at the front of the boxes..... :unsure: :unsure:

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 18:57 »
One of them probably kicked it out when they do their "scratch around and make things comfy" bit before laying.
I'm still waiting for my Bluebelle to lay, she was bought as POL last September, the 2 Speckaldies I bought at the same time are both laying. Does anyone know what colour eggs a Bluebelle lays?

Prod

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 19:01 »
I have a bluebell too, Veronica, although she is moulting she is stll laying and her eggs are a mid brown colour and a good size. So far she has been a very regular layer.  ;)

xx
First moult, but still laying

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 21:29
by moomoos42
xx
Laying after a moult

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:35
by compostqueen
xx
The Big Moult

Started by francais on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2011, 01:46
by Lindeggs
xx
moult or something else

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 11:10
by tesni

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 28 queries.