Resistant to carrot fly,really?.

• 9 Replies

twitch68

Resistant to carrot fly,really?.
« on: January 05, 2013, 17:15 »
 Having looked through a seed catalogue I noticed a couple of carrot varieties being advertised as "resisant to carrot fly",are they really resistant,has anyone tried them and do they taste and grow like ordinary carrots but obviously without the disease,plus how exactly are they resistant,are they sprayed with a toxic chemical perhaps?.Thanks. ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Resistant to carrot fly,really?.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 17:20 »
They are not sprayed with anything and no doubt give off less of the natural smell that attact the fly. The ones I'be grown years ago have less taste.

Don't confuse fly "proof" with "resistant". There is no such thing.

The only sure fire way to deter fly is with a physical barrier, such as Enviromesh.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lottiman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 18:08 »
The variety that I grew Flyaway still got the demon fly in them, and in my opinion did not have a particularly great taste as I know DD said, I would also agree that the only way to stop fly damage is with a barrier. Have also tried sowing the Carrots in between Onions and Garlic and that still did not work >:( also tried mixing carrot and chive seed together  and sowing it also failed  >:( have moved on to fleece barriers now :lol:
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 18:23 »
Try and grow them, by all means - we are, but also net them to stop the fly getting anywahere near them!

It seems they're trying to make the seedlings unappealing to the grubs that the fly lays nearby, but I'd rather just keep the blighters out with a blasted great net.

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 19:26 »
have to agree with DD here, the resistant ones i thought had inferior taste, buy some enviromesh it never fails and grow the variety you want to.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 16:15 »
I grew "flyaway " in a raised bed along with some early nantes - they both got carrot fly / slug damage and I had to cut away over 50% of each carrot. Next year I am going to spend the money and get some environmesh and try that instead - seems the only way from what I have read on here.

Ema

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 16:17 »
I'm going to designate a whole bed to carrots and snips this year and will be netting the whole thing!

sion01

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 16:41 »
I grew some celeriac quite close to my carrots this year .You could smell the celeriac as soon as you were within 5 yards of them particularly on damp days(most days last year).I was really concerned when I read somewhere that carrots and celeriac were from the same family and that carrot fly could affect celeriac too :ohmy.

I reckoned that with such a strong smell every carrotfly in the area would be having a mad party on my carrots/celeriac and resigned myself to nil points for both crops for 2012.To my amazment my carrots were the cleanest that they have been for years with not a hint of the fly .The celeriac was totally unaffected too.

Was I really lucky or has the strong smell of celeriac confused the fly somehow?

Has anybody else grown the two crops closely and had the same good result or was it a total flucke

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 17:45 »
I grew 'flyaway' last year to try it out and it was a failure.  I have invested in some barriers for this year.  Would love to grow bug free carrots just once!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 20:17 »
You may well have achieved your result, Sion, and keep that as your success story, which I'll also file away for the future!

Carrot fly is really a scourge which needs to be kept out, as we all know, and you can grow carrots your way, and, like mentioned here, a good covering to keep the blasted fly out is the only alternative!

tWe've had 99% success with carrots under debris neting this last year, so that will be the norm for us this coming year, but any ideas for getting the blighters away is a goodun, IMHO!

Nice idea about celeriac - I chopped out a couple today, and the scent was marvellous!

xx
Carrot fly resistant varieties

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:04
by gobs
xx
Any experience of carrot fly resistant varieties?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 11, 2017, 15:23
by Growster...
xx
carrot fly resistant varieties - do they work?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:44
by bashful_badger
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador

Page created in 0.906 seconds with 30 queries.