Daily Harvest - 2013

• 895 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: Daily Harvest - 2013
« Reply #810 on: October 08, 2013, 12:03 »
All the rest of my tomatoes. The outdoor ones were starting to split in the cold nights, and those in the lean-to were doing OK but ripening very very slowly.... so now have every sunny windowsill covered in green tomatoes.

Clockwise from the mixed bowl of ripe tomatoes..... mixed bowl of all the ripe tomatoes there were; brown berry (allegedly); lemon plum; tiny tim; garden peach; currant sweet pea.

So, as for the experiment with 5 new varieties, I think I've had mixed results:

The brown berry (1 plant) gave good yields, and they were the first to ripen on the plant, so have given tomatoes through the last couple of months.
The lemon plum (2 plants) was by weight the most productive, but has so far given only one ripe tomato!
The tiny tim (1 plant) was disappointing compared to previous bush varieties I've grown - yields were good and tomatos tasty, but very slow to ripen, and quite tough skins
The garden peach (2 plants) was not very productive or fast ripening, but taste superb and look even better (the nicest looking tomato I have grown!)
And the currant sweet pea (4 plants) gave huge numbers of tomatos which ripened quickly with a lovely taste, but because of the small size of tomatos produced, and the massive size of the plants (three of them escaped out of the top of the greenhouse while I was on holiday and were a good 3' above the top), were probably not all that productive.

toms13.jpg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:14 by lazza »

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #811 on: October 08, 2013, 17:14 »
I picked my pumpkin and the remaining squahses today whilst having a tidy up. Also picked quite a few tomatoes. They definately preferred being in the ground at the allotment than in pots at home. Had a few tiny aubergines and quite a few chilli peppers that were also outside. I've still got a load of beetroots in the ground which will be coming up in the next couple of weeks.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #812 on: October 08, 2013, 18:22 »
Red and orange carrots, a huge bunch of chervil for herb butter and freezing, chives and another flipping cabbage.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #813 on: October 08, 2013, 19:22 »
More perpetual spinach for tea (at this rate 15 plants aren't going to last me the winter are they! :D )

richie3846

« Reply #814 on: October 08, 2013, 20:43 »
All the rest of my tomatoes. The outdoor ones were starting to split in the cold nights, and those in the lean-to were doing OK but ripening very very slowly.... so now have every sunny windowsill covered in green tomatoes.

Clockwise from the mixed bowl of ripe tomatoes..... mixed bowl of all the ripe tomatoes there were; brown berry (allegedly); lemon plum; tiny tim; garden peach; currant sweet pea.

So, as for the experiment with 5 new varieties, I think I've had mixed results:

The brown berry (1 plant) gave good yields, and they were the first to ripen on the plant, so have given tomatoes through the last couple of months.
The lemon plum (2 plants) was by weight the most productive, but has so far given only one ripe tomato!
The tiny tim (1 plant) was disappointing compared to previous bush varieties I've grown - yields were good and tomatos tasty, but very slow to ripen, and quite tough skins
The garden peach (2 plants) was not very productive or fast ripening, but taste superb and look even better (the nicest looking tomato I have grown!)
And the currant sweet pea (4 plants) gave huge numbers of tomatos which ripened quickly with a lovely taste, but because of the small size of tomatos produced, and the massive size of the plants (three of them escaped out of the top of the greenhouse while I was on holiday and were a good 3' above the top), were probably not all that productive.

It might be helpful to know, that to ripen tomatoes, no light is required. It may be better to use the airing cupboard if that is warmer, as it is warmth that will ripen them. My airing cupboard is around 25c, and that seems to be spot on for ripening the stubborn ones!

Sparkyrog

« Reply #815 on: October 10, 2013, 00:24 »
Apples and mint for mint Jelly  :)
I cook therefore I grow

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #816 on: October 10, 2013, 11:32 »
Yesterday's harvest, one 3kilo pumpkin, 3 uchi kuri squash, 5 winter festival squash, 3 courgettes (yep, they are still going) the last (I think) Runner beans and a ton of tomatoes and chilli's.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #817 on: October 10, 2013, 12:20 »
It might be helpful to know, that to ripen tomatoes, no light is required. It may be better to use the airing cupboard if that is warmer, as it is warmth that will ripen them. My airing cupboard is around 25c, and that seems to be spot on for ripening the stubborn ones!

Thanks Richie. The airing cupboard isn't very big, so can't do that. The first year I grew tomatoes, I but some green ones in a paper bag in the airing cupboard and forgot about them.... the sheets looked like there had been an assassination....

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #818 on: October 10, 2013, 15:45 »
A bunch of Tuscan black kale, bunch of carrots, 3 small turnips and 3 bootiful celeriac roots

Just need a cauli and cauli and celeriac soup comin' up :happy:

Flowertot

« Reply #819 on: October 11, 2013, 17:07 »
The last of the potatoes, French beans and courgettes plus a little broccoli and a bunch of flowers  :)

lettice

« Reply #820 on: October 12, 2013, 09:50 »
Picked a nice bunch of carrots from pots
Pulled out a good handful of Charlotte potatoes from potato bags still outside
Still picking loads of runner beans and plenty still growing
Picked a good large bowlful of tomatoes, thats probably one of the last big pickings as the plants are starting to wilt outside now.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #821 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06 »
The last two courgettes. When I took one during the week, there were three left. One grew, one didn't and the third rotted.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Flowertot

« Reply #822 on: October 12, 2013, 15:19 »
The last 2 huge Qld Blue pumpkins  :ohmy:  :D :D
And some ruby chard for dinner

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #823 on: October 12, 2013, 16:21 »
A few squash:

P1020234 by rowan.godfrey, on Flickr

We have; Big Green Pepo, Big Tan Pepo, Butternuts, Little Orange Maxima.

P1020235 by rowan.godfrey, on Flickr

This is about 1/3 the harvest, but the rest need some more time.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #824 on: October 12, 2013, 17:44 »
Wow Rowan that's a fab harvest :D

xx
Daily Harvest

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

243 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:59
by comfreykid
xx
Daily harvest 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2024, 14:29
by New shoot
xx
Daily Harvest 2011

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

851 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 15:28
by DD.
xx
Daily Harvest - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

827 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 12:57
by Abbeyview

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 32 queries.