Vanishing cream question?

• 13 Replies

allotmentann

Vanishing cream question?
« on: January 02, 2013, 16:07 »
I hope someone can solve this mystery for me, because I am getting really irritated by it now. I remember not so long ago, that if I bought double cream and whipped it and left it in the fridge it went more solid. About four years ago I noticed that when I bought doubloe cream from A**a and whipped it and left it in the fridge - it went back to it's unwhipped state again when I tried to use it (a bit like the squirty cream does). I thought it was a bad batch, but it kept happening, then a friend said the same was happening to hers. So I switched to T***o, then that also started doing it, so I started buying from A**i, today I have just gone to fill a swiss roll and that cream also went liquid when I tried to spread it. I have re whipped it but have a nasty feeling that there may be a mess in the fridge later.
Am I the only one having this experience? And can anybody tell me why this is happening? :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Vanishing cream question?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 16:25 »
Proper double cream should contain no less than 48% milk fat to stay whipped.

I bought double cream from Trashco for use over the holidays and it stayed firm on the trifle for a few days.

I wouldn't think so but - you're not picking up Elmlea, thinking it's cream are you?

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 17:29 »
No, it is definitely double cream. I didn't know that, that was the minimum fat content. I have been wondering for a while if they have been bringing the fat content down and that is the cause, but apart from a friend mentioning it (and I had not mentioned it to her), I know of no one else having this trouble. I shall have to see if the fat content is on the carton and see who does cream with the highest fat content to try. (Good job I am not planning on dieting!) :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 17:30 »
If so many heavy creams are failing, then obviously something in the milk processing has changed.

I found some great tips for whipping cream halfway down the page HERE

I think adding an egg white would be the most helpful, which means you must also keep the cake item refrigerated at all times.

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 17:38 »
Trillium, you seem to be a source of useful articles on all kinds of subjects, thank you for that  :D. I have book marked the page and will try some of those tips - the adding honey one may be good.  :)

grinling

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 20:30 »
When I whip T's cream it has stayed firm over night and then finished up on scones next day. I whip until stiff peaks. If I do soft peaks in can turn back.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:10 »
I have not had problems with the Trashco double cream, but if you buy the Yeo Valley cream, there is a noticable difference in consistency and taste.  Its not cheap, but is very thick and whips up very fast.  It does go more solid if stored whipped up in the fridge as well.

It also tastes of proper cream, probably because it is loaded with fat and absolutely no good for dieters  :lol:

If you are going to the trouble of making a cake, I think it would be worth treating yourself now and again  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25 »
I whipped some Tesco double cream on Tuesday and it still looked solid in the fridge yesterday evening.... will have another look at it tonight and report back :)

I can't think of any reason why it would go back to liquid though?

Hannah :)

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 13:16 »
I am wondering if I should whip it more, I do it until I think it is on the verge of turning into butter. I will also try the Yeo Valley if I can find it - if you are going to eat cream you may as well go for it! :) Thank you for your helpful replies as always. :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 13:41 »
I will also try the Yeo Valley if I can find it

My local Trashco sells it, as does the local Waitrose  :)

It's from organic dairy herds, which just munch grass to their hearts content as cows should.   I guess that is why it tastes more like proper old fashioned cream.  As you say, cream is a treat, so if you are going to eat it, might as well go for it  :D

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 16:38 »
Thanks Newshoot, I will look for it. :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 17:41 »
YEO valley also pay their farmers a better rate than most, which is why I buy their milk and yoghurt.

Trashco cream has been fine for me. Whipped it to soft peaks for trifle and pavlova and it firmed up both times and kept for the three days it was allowed to.

Just a thought, is the temperature of your fridge OK?

chrissie B

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 20:17 »
i get mine from lidl they changed their brand and so far so good
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

allotmentann

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00 »
Yes some things in A....i and L...l are very good. It is always worth trying things. Sorry, I missed your post Tosca, yes the fridge temperature is fine.  I did try the Yeo Valley cream and it has been fine so far. I would also say that it tastes better. So thank you Tosca and New shoot for that :)

xx
Cream question

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post December 09, 2012, 16:27
by Mrs Bee
wireless
choc guiness cake sour cream question

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 18:11
by titch
xx
What can I do with frozen cream? Butter? Ice Cream?

Started by Swing Swang on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:19
by tosca100
xx
Single cream in ice cream

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 18:42
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 29 queries.