wireworm

• 4 Replies

steve G

wireworm
« on: November 28, 2007, 20:48 »
not only am i new to this p-c stuff also allotment's so please forgive my ignorance,right my first year was great,problem now i'm hooked(said with tongue in cheek)i had some great spuds 1st 2nds the lot went on to me main crop,what the hell?blooming wire worm,never heard of em,must have lost 2 1/3rd's me crop,right i'll get the *,bromophos/chlorophos that seem's to be what the book's say,ah i hear you cry don't believe every you read,no but seriuosly can i find it any where most shop's so far around where i live,ely,cambs,is it my age or am i talking giberish,iv'e trying to find any one over 20 that might have heard of this stuff is it band under eec reg's,as being harmfull to wire worms?or is it disguised under another name

muntjac

wireworm
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 20:50 »
they are now banned if memory serves .go to a good garden centre and check for new products .lime any ground heavily for woire worm, dont grow spuds for a couple years on that ground .grow loads veggies  :wink: green cabbage types  :)
still alive /............

milkman

wireworm
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 21:07 »
obtain some mustard green manure seed, sow this in early spring where you plan to grow your spuds - it's usually quick to germinate and quick to grow, then dig it in a few weeks before planting your spuds - the description in organic gardening seed catalogue is thus:

May help to control wireworms which are fond of the decomposing plants and eat enough to reach adulthood in a single season, then fly away to find grassland in which to lay their eggs.

Good luck.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

gobs

wireworm
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 21:33 »
If I'm only 16 will you still listen? No ageism, please, either. :lol:

If your plot has not been cultivated previously, you will have them all sorts of worms and grubs eating at your roots for 2-3 seasons, after that they should really disappear just through ordinary cultivation, anyway.

It's not nice but not worth getting mad about. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mkhenry

wireworm
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 23:22 »
If you are growing spuds and wireworm becomes a problem try the following.

Bury up and down the plot potatoe peelings,mark the places were you have buried them well.
In a few days dig them up along with some wireworms that will be feeding on them.REmove and replace with fresh peelings.
Keep doing this and you will be reducing the infestation.Those you remove will not be eating your c :lol:  :wink: rop.
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

xx
wireworm

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 20:52
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
wireworm

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 09:09
by rowlandwells
xx
wireworm

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 11:16
by Salmo
xx
wireworm

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 15:56
by GreenOwl

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 28 queries.