What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

wendyg

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #1380 on: June 01, 2013, 19:58 »
Went down to my plot and noticed that my newish (1-2 month) slimline water butt and stand for the greenhouse had been stolen  >:(.  Last week I had the tap on my ibc tank broken and half of the water drained, I hope we aren't due a drought as I only have one water butt useable now.  Sowed some more sweetcorn as not all of my first lot germinated, spring greens and hispi cabbage, and also some french beans and runner beans.

At home repotted the butternut squash plants, courgette and spaghetti squash plants - they aren't looking to good.
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

pompeyboy61

« Reply #1381 on: June 01, 2013, 20:00 »
Got down early and planted out the  Runner Beans and Frennch Beans but for a bit of insurance plant a seed alongside each plant. Trailed more twine around the canes amongst the Broad Beans for support .Then out with the hoe as the warm weather had brought out the weed in abundance.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #1382 on: June 01, 2013, 20:01 »
Planted out antirrhinums and sweet william and 4 tomatillos on the hugelkultur bed.
Anne

missmoneypenny

« Reply #1383 on: June 01, 2013, 20:11 »
Took half of my tomato plants over and lined them along my shed. They'll be joined by their sisters tomorrow and planted. I'll have to bribe my kids to come to the plot with the promise of a trip to the park afterwards. They always moan like mad at first, then forget they don't like the allotment and start bug chasing.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1384 on: June 01, 2013, 21:31 »
Oooh nearly forgot - planted 2 rows of carrots and netted that bed ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #1385 on: June 01, 2013, 23:27 »
:lol: more strawberries. Grendel I challenge you to go a whole day without saying the s word.  :lol:
Ah...!  ::)
Planted 12 toms (3 Orange Peruche, 6 Alicante, 3 San Marzano) in Mum's greenhouse before we ran out of compost and realised that we had more to go in.  Interplanted some Oca and some of my spare dwarf/climbing french and runner beans.  Back tomorrow for part 'deux' of the tomato chronicles... ::)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1386 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42 »
Weeded and watered. Removed nets from courgettes and French beans. Removed bubble wrap fence from my dying sweetcorn. Removed fleece from pumpkins.

Weeded some more.  ::)

Watered the compost which looked very dry. Ditched the veg scraps from home. Took Florence for two wheel barrow rides around site  :lol:

Doesnt sound a lot but I was up there for two plus hours  :wacko:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #1387 on: June 02, 2013, 12:02 »
Potted on 33 cabbage into 3 inch pots. Had a general tidy at home.

grendel

« Reply #1388 on: June 02, 2013, 12:28 »
went, planted 2 rows cabbage and broccoli, hooped and netted then finally finished weeding the crops at that plot. only a few weeds round the leeks and the strawberry bed to finish now. still got the potatoes and onions to weed at my other plot, but that one is the wetter of the two anyway.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Handy Andi

• Fowlers Family Allotment
« Reply #1389 on: June 02, 2013, 14:51 »
Planted out red cabbages and caulies, last 2 courgette plants, a few more runner beans to replace those that were pretty much dead, a few more asparagus peas and half a dozen giant sunflowers.

Jackypam

« Reply #1390 on: June 02, 2013, 15:48 »
Also planted out the last 'insurance' runners beside the slightly frosted sad looking ones, and some seeds beside them just in case!  Tackled the last remaining last patch of grass in the fruit cage so the blueberry can breathe.  Did about a quarter.  Weeded, watered, looked hopefully for signs of life amongst the garlic, sweet corn and French beans. Nothing yet.  And no sign of the parsnip or swede, but the 'marker' radishes are up.  Oh and strimmed and mowed the paths.

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #1391 on: June 02, 2013, 17:00 »
Watered, earthed up spuds, made about 12 mini cloches out of 2 litre lemonade bottles, feed leeks, and planted out some squashes.....
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #1392 on: June 02, 2013, 18:31 »
No plot today as I had too much other stuff to do sadly. However, I did plant out all the pots and baskets on the balcony with trailing lobelia, surfinias, petunias and cosmos. I think I need to look at growing some of my own bedding plants next year as I forgot how expensive they are  :mad

On the plus side, the balcony looks so much better - just got to wait for them to all flower now!

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #1393 on: June 02, 2013, 19:11 »
Created my veg bed in the backgarden today - I'm running out of room at the lottie this year!! :ohmy:

I now have 2 short rows of 'Robinta' taters, 'Bijou' Climbing Mangetout on one wigwam, 'Golden podded' Mangetout on another wigwam and 3 PSB seedlings between.
Have also put the last 2 'Honey Bear' squash in next to the beans to spread around the flowers.

It's a bit of a trial bed as it starts off sunny in the morning, but by 4pm the bed that side is in the shade, but we'll see. :D

Jon Gale

« Reply #1394 on: June 02, 2013, 20:02 »
Still don't get my plot until next weekend, but trayed up potatoes for chitting, made sure all the runners and sweetcorn growing in pots in the utility room were well watered, got down all my old tools and gave them a clean/sharpen.

My biggest problem is not spending too much money. Really tempted by some telescopic tunnels in the local store, which come as either a net, a standard fleece or a fine fleece - two for £24.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 29 queries.