Chickens, cats and coffee granules

• 8 Replies

eneville

Chickens, cats and coffee granules
« on: December 22, 2012, 16:48 »
I read on the internet (so it /could/ be true) that cats don't like coffee granules. If I were to spread many granules around in the garden, would it be safe for the chickens and would it keep the cats away? Does anyone have experience of this. I would have thought (and it shows how little I know) that cats wouldn't like the smell of chicken poo and would have stayed out of the garden.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens, cats and coffee granules
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 16:55 »
the majority of cats pose no threat to chickens and if you do find one a quick squirt from a water pistol will put them off  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

eneville

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 17:47 »
Well, since I always hang around with the chickens when I let them out, I'm not too bothered about cats posing a threat. What I am bothered about is either stepping in the cat poo or the chickens eating it/walking in it. Today I really did put my foot in it...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 18:50 »
Water pistol treatment puts them off, for whatever reason you want to keep them away  :dry:

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 21:02 »
I've never heard of cats not liking coffee, but I've seen many a cat sitting on people's laps whilst coffee is being drunk. Never seen a cat leave when coffee is near. Most chickens will be able to fend off a curious cat, foxes on the other hand are a problem so I don't let mine roam free unless in near by.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 10:11 »
Tea! You need to break a tea bag into some water and throw it over the cat. It wont harm the cat in any way but they can't stand it. It gives the cat an initial shock and when they try and clean themselves they don't like the tea taste. It takes them a long time to get rid of it all.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 10:19 »
Maybe it is the granules on their paws they don't like  :nowink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 14:29 »
My 3 cats pose no threat to my hens - if anything it's the other way round. The hens will peck the cats if they are somewhere that that want to dig and they want them to move, so the cats give them a wide berth.  :D

Re. coffee, I thought it was coffee grounds, i.e the stuff that is left behind after using a peculator or cafetiere, that people put down to deter cats rather than granules. I suppose it would smell stronger.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 14:34 by Jomtie »
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 16:27 »
Tea! You need to break a tea bag into some water and throw it over the cat. It wont harm the cat in any way but they can't stand it. It gives the cat an initial shock and when they try and clean themselves they don't like the tea taste. It takes them a long time to get rid of it all.

Oh. I had a cat that drank tea. She obviously didn't know this. Then again she only liked it with sugar in and never drank coffee.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
cats & chickens

Started by hamcat on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:38
by Chookaholic
xx
Will Chickens Be Okay With 2 Cats + a Dog??

Started by pookey on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 07:49
by flatcap
xx
cats and chickens

Started by brucie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2008, 21:49
by peggyprice
xx
CHICKENS AND CATS

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 16:23
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 30 queries.