Clipping copper black's claws

• 1 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Clipping copper black's claws
« on: January 04, 2013, 14:24 »
On Dec 10th we noticed our copper black, Tilly, limping very badly. Luckily I was off work with pneumonia  :wub:, so I managed to get her to the vet straight away and the x-ray showed that she had fractured one of her toes. She had to be segregated in the broody coop during the day for a week to keep her immobile (she went back in the coop at night with the others) and then reintroduced gradually as she began to walk better. She seems to have fully recovered but now has long claws on both feet, presumably because she hasn't been able to walk about as much as usual. The trouble is that she has black claws and I can't see where the blood vessels are. Would I be better to take her to the vet's again (more expense after Christmas and after £40 for the x-ray etc  :( ) or can I have a go myself if I'm careful?
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Clipping copper black's claws
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 17:05 »
If you only want to take a little off you could use a file rather than clippers.  I use a battery manicure kit (like a small dremel) for my quails beaks when they grow too long.  They have cuttlefish but some of them don't seem to peck it.  They don't mind having it done and it is easy to just take a small amount off.   :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Copper black Marrans

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 18:16
by snow white
xx
Copper Black Marans.

Started by Elyssian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:59
by Elyssian
xx
Copper Black egg advice please! PIC ADDED

Started by cammi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 12:42
by cammi
xx
Copper Black Marans wanted

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:08
by Tartuffe

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 36 queries.