Putting in raised beds.

• 5 Replies

twitch68

Putting in raised beds.
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:39 »
Hello all,I have recently aquired a plot and at one end are about 18 raspberry canes (good croppers apparently) which wouldn't be too bad but they are choked in couch grass and when I say choked I mean throttled and it looks really messy so I was thinking - I want to put in two 4metre long raised beds but how to prepare the ground?,I was thinking of cutting the canes to ground level and then laying a weed suppressing cover on the ground placing the raised beds on top of this,filling with soil and hey presto but this sounds too easy,would the weed suppressant affect drainage?.I would like to keep some canes at one end or in the middle but get rid of the weeds so can I dig up the raspberries,clear the couch (something I am expierienced in) then put the canes back in the soil?,thanks.

allotmentann

Re: Putting in raised beds.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 14:29 »
I have had to do this with the raspberry canes on another plot I work on, tried and tried to remove the couch without disturbing the raspberries but found it wasn't possible. I replanted them immediately and most survived unscathed :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 14:49 »
If I've followed this correctly you are planning to bury your weeds and raspberries under weed fabric and build raised beds on top, leaving a few raspberry plants at each end which you will dig up, weed, and replant?

Possible problems are that the buried couch will simply grow back into your newly-weeded remaining raspberries, you will be quite restricted as to what you can grow in your raised beds unless you make them very deep, and drainage could be a problem even using a permeable membrane, partly dependent on your soil type. I also wouldn't want to bet against raspberries forcing their way back up through weed fabric!  ::)

Make sure you find out whether the rasps are summer or autumn fruiting before cutting down the ones you want to keep - if they are summer ones if you do that you won't get any fruit next year, but apart from that now is a good time to move/replant them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 15:32 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SG6

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 18:09 »
Dig out the raspberries.
Dig out the couch grass.

Move the raspberries, and either keep digging the couch grass or spray when it starts to show again. Probably have to spray a couple of times.

twitch68

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 18:32 »
 Thanks for that,I kind of guessed that there would be no short cut but have to dig it out,oh well at least by the time I get to them I should be a couch grass expert.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40 »
I agreee with SG6. Couch grass is not something you can just bury - it will come back.

xx
Putting my raised beds to sleep.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2008, 10:03
by fallen angel
xx
Putting the beds to sleep for winter?

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 21:06
by birmancats
xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by anti on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 21:28
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 31 queries.