Sycamore growing from house

• 27 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Sycamore growing from house
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 17:59 »
...  there is a small sycamore tree sprouting from just under the front foundations of the house. ...

How big is it now ?

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 17:07 »
Hubbali, just cut it away with secateurs, and do as Alan says. It won't pull your house down, if it's a tiddler now will it!

I regularly cut them back as we're on a flight path for the little sodz, and they take no time to chop out!

So, down on your hands and knees, chop, squirt of oil and/or glyphosphate/tree stump killer, and you'll be fine!

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 22:27 »
No No No Please dont cut it down Dig down as far as you can and carefully dig it out with as much root as you can  the plant it into about a ltr sized pot with a nice multi purpose compost . And let it grow  and you wil end up with either a bonsai or a very dead stick  :lol:
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29 »
The glyphos is best used on a leafy bit and will work its way down to the root, I would  have thought  ;)  While it's still a tiddler that is

hubballi

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 18:59 »
I tried pulling it up and it snapped off at the base. have you seen the price of Glyphos ? £11 in Wilko. I am not paying that. I will find it cheaper somewhere.

I can't dig down as it is coming up between very large and heavy paving slabs. I can also see more tiny shoots coming out under the house brickwork again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 19:46 »
Why didn't you just cut it level with the path?
Wilko sell it from about a fiver - you were looking at the large size!
anyway you won't need to buy it till it starts growing again this one's quite good
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/weedkillers+insecticides/resolva-24hr-action-weedkiller-1ltr/invt/0274009/

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 19:48 »
Hubbali, just don't worry!

It's only a plant which gets bigger if you leave it - then it becomes an urban weed.

If I was a respectable sycamore seedling, the last thing I'd do is burrow into some serious concrete or brickwork, rather than take what's free and easy soil and subsoil on the other side!

Take it easy, and yes - save your £11.00 - I would!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 19:59 »
So rather than spending £11 on some glyphosate you would risk a sycamore growing under you house foundations.  Well that makes sense......NOT. ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 20:01 »
I have got a sycamore or chestnut growing out of an airbrick gap near my foundations.

I squirted it with weedkiller once, which deformed it a little but didn't kill it.

Since then I've just chopped it back when it decides to rear its head.  It seems to be under control and not threatening the property in any way.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 00:24 »
Glyphos is £5 a box from your allotment shop.  It will last ages as it's very concentrated so is good value

You could try salt, that's cheap. Wet the plant first so the salt sticks to it.  Diesel would work and that's not dear as you probably put it in your car don't you  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51 »
So rather than spending £11 on some glyphosate you would risk a sycamore growing under you house foundations.  Well that makes sense......NOT. ::)

Oh, I know, Ice, but if Hubbali isn't going to shell out the £11, then there's not much else he/she can do is there!

I'd probably just cut it back every now and then, (perhaps not in the spring, when sometimes, they look very attractive), and clobber it with - as said here - some diesel or salt when I felt like it!

I may not even bother, depending on whether I had a headache or not, or maybe couldn't be 'bottomed'...

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 21:17 »
Hubballi, just read all of this thread to it. It'll soon lose the will to live  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 21:26 »
Hubballi, just read all of this thread to it. It'll soon lose the will to live  :lol:

Ho Ho Ho  :blink:

xx
Can I compost sycamore leaves?

Started by JulesJ on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 20:18
by compostqueen
xx
I want to take my dahlias with me to my new house - help?

Started by julietmaria on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 23:15
by noshed
xx
how to remove old ivy from your house

Started by Jim T on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 20:37
by richyrich7
xx
Where to put a bird house?

Started by Rowan on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 10:02
by madcat

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 37 queries.