what shuold i use

• 8 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
what shuold i use
« on: November 25, 2007, 19:56 »
what could or shuld i use as a roof to the hen house as ive heard that red mite breed in felt can i just use wood?? but how would i insulate it to keep the hens warm?? when i get them wish Christmas would get here as my pops is getting me some as a pressie  :D  :D  :D  arent dads great
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Bodger

what shuold i use
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 20:04 »
True ! Red mite and the like do reside in nooks and crannies and favour between roofing felt and the roof that it covers, but if you keep your bird and the timbers of your chicken shed treated, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
what shuold i use
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 20:06 »
I use felt on mine and so do lots of others mites like anything with crevices. A solid marine ply roof would work well but would need preserving well, esp on the edge's  :wink:

Hens aren't in need of much warmth, they come complete with their own duvet  :lol: be more concerned with avoiding drafts and high humidity which can cause health problems, but they do need good ventilation.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
what shuold i use
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 20:10 »
so i can use felt then as long as i treat hens and home  what do i use to treat them?? sorry for asking but i dont know and where would i get it from and is it expensive

Bodger

what shuold i use
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 20:15 »
There's no need to become too frantic about your chickens having a few red mite on them unless they get them in plague proportions. I use an aerosol spray called Mite-kill to treat both the birds and the wooden surfaces.
The information section of this forum will have lots of info on how to control them but I would like to reiterate what I said earlier and that is not to become neurotic over the threat from redmite.

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
what shuold i use
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 20:17 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
There's no need to become too frantic about your chickens having a few red mite on them unless they get them in plague proportions. I use an aerosol spray called Mite-kill to treat both the birds and the wooden surfaces.
The information section of this forum will have lots of info on how to control them but I would like to reiterate what I said earlier and that is not to become neurotic over the threat from redmite.

er better to be safe then sorry springs to mind just dont want poorly hens

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
what shuold i use
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 20:28 »
Bodgers right THWW just keep em clean well fed etc and they hould be OK, prevention is better than cure you can get powders sprays etc I treat mine with an organic powder "Get Rid Gold Label" it's safe to use on most animals I sprinkle it on them and on the litter in their dust bath and it seems to work fine,the cats get a dose as well  :lol: gets the fleas to  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
what shuold i use
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 23:15 »
Our big henhouse  roof is felted, so when he built the extension to it, the roof was felted to match the rest, but he stuck it down all over with a black stuff from Wickes as well as using felt nails, hopefully if there are anymore mites around, they won't be able to get in under that bit!

Bodger

what shuold i use
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 23:35 »
Chicken keeping is simple and good fun. For every horror story, there are thousands of happy endings and then if the worst happens you have people such as those on here who will help you out :lol:

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 28 queries.