Coombs

• 4 Replies

Lilac

Coombs
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:29 »
My two girls have just started to lay and I have noticed that now their combs have grown that they are quite floppy. Is this normal? They are a Black Rock and a Columbine. I was under the impression that the combs should be more upright..if that is the right word!! Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bodger

Coombs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27 »
Yes, in this sort of birds a large red floppy comb is a sign that the birds are in full lay. A hens comb is a good barometer as to how the birds feel in general and at what stage they are in in their production cycle. The colour of their faces also show if they are in good health. Bright red normally is a good sign.

This doesn't work if you keep any of the blue or dark faced birds though. :D

Lilac

Coombs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:08 »
Ah, thank you Bodger. So basically they are fine then really 8)

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Combs
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 17:23 »
I was interested in the comments about hens combs. I have 3 patridge  bantams with dark combs. They are nearly 4 years old and one of them has a much larger comb than the others and this year it seems to have grown even larger and has a hint of red in it. She seems healthy and is "top hen", might her status have something to do with her comb?

Judi

Bodger

Coombs
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 17:38 »
Possibly.

If I keep a group of young cockerels, the boss hog always has the most advanced comb. If I pen a subservient member of the group on his own, then the comb quickly develops and catches up.

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.