Over Winter Peas

• 25 Replies

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
Over Winter Peas
« on: November 12, 2012, 10:59 »
Morning All,

Now the plot is looking a bit better (i should really update my diary on here when I have time) and i have raspberries, gooseberries, blackberries, onions and garlic all in the ground, I'm now thinking about peas.

Can anyone recommend an over winter variety?

I'm a bit concerned how to start them off, too, as i don't have a green house yet. Can I plant them straight in the ground or start them off in root trainers/loo roll tubes at home?

As always, any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Over Winter Peas
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04 »
I personally would even bother.

They need a lot of TLC over winter to protect them from any really bad frosts, just to get a few peas a couple of weeks early.

I've posted this somewhere else, but these were a plot neighbour's peas in the early part of this year, I think January time.

A week later they were dead and it wasn't a particularly harsh winter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17 »
Thanks DD, i was hoping you'd reply  :D

Advice taken, I'll leave them til next year.

Jim

Kiki

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 17:56 »
Hmm..
I read Gardeners World and found advice to grow over winter peas to guard against inclemant  spring weather. I've sown a line of Meteor in the ground and a load more (chitted) in root trainers in the greenhouse.
I guess it's not that practical but I'm keen to see what happens.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 18:11 »
I've tried it a few times and given up. They get decimated by the weather even in a sheltered spot in the back garden.

I'm afraid that I'm a "no faffing about" gardener and would sooner wait until the weather is suitable for them than spend extra effort on them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 18:32 »
I've tried it a few times and given up. They get decimated by the weather even in a sheltered spot in the back garden.

I'm afraid that I'm a "no faffing about" gardener and would sooner wait until the weather is suitable for them than spend extra effort on them.

Me, I'm going with the common sense approach and keeping my seeds safely in their envelopes until the Spring.

I've learned from others' experience what is likely to happen, plus seed sown at the right time in the year usually outperforms that which has struggled along from being planted out of season imho
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 19:50 »
We need to remember that DD grows more peas than 'Birds Eye' buy and sell in a year, so his views need to be listened to with a serious voice...

(I heard that Leicesteshire TV were planning a DD pea-growing festival, and his seventy-eight plots were going to be used as the back drop to a new series on the delicacy...;0)

Seriously, they (peas, not Lecestershire Television)  don't really like winter, much as we don't down here in sunny/cold Kent, either!

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 14:43 »

Me, I'm going with the common sense approach and keeping my seeds safely in their envelopes until the Spring.

I've learned from others' experience what is likely to happen, plus seed sown at the right time in the year usually outperforms that which has struggled along from being planted out of season imho
[/quote]
I so agree - it is amazing how things catch up, even when you try to stagger seed sowings.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 18:44 »
My allotment is at a pub and the chef said he used a lot of pea shoots so I have planted some peas in cold greenhouse about 3 weeks ago. They are about an inch tall at the moment so in the next ten days I expect to be able to supply the pub restaurant with peas shoots. I am not planning to let them grow any more than shoots cropping them regularly.
This is an experiment I will report back in a couple of weeks.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 19:30 »
That's not overwintering peas though, that just growing pea shoots  :lol:

They are lovely though  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 19:50 »
It's pea murder!  :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 19:53 »
It's pea murder!  :ohmy:

It's Ok DD, now sit down carefully and.... breathe....... :ohmy:

They don't suffer for long  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 20:25 »
I'm glad you are good in an emergency Sunny   ::)  :D

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 20:47 »
I didn't say I was over wintering but I will be growing peas over winter. Pedantic or what!

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 21:41 »
I grew Pea 'Meteor' (First Early) last November, and netted until early April, had a good early crop.

I was also very successful growing Aquadulce Claudia broad bean from last November sowing.

the rain helped a lot!

I recommend them for winter growing.
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 30 queries.