News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

Oliveview

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2014, 17:08 »
More refuge news-  I have taken myself off the whatsapp message bit-I was getting fed up with all the bitching about the old group-  I said I will still help, but need a break for now from the messages.
We are fostering yet another dog- this one was living rough, we had thought she had a home.  I found out on Wednesday that she was abandoned- and pregnant-  I took her to the vet- he did a scan and said 7-8 puppies.  Then discovered she was chipped.  The owners came along the next day- they said she had run off  2 years ago while they were out hunting- she was scared of the gunfire.  They would not sterilise her, said they would give the puppies to their neighbour-  so they agreed to sign the dog over to me, I have found her a place at a dog rescue in the UK, so once we have her funds she will be off, at least we don´t have to pay for a chip!!  Today she was sterilised- 8 puppies-  I hate the thought of her being sterilised while pregnant- but there was no choice-finding a home for 1 puppy is hard another 7 is impossible.  Off to collect Chispa.

Pamela

Springlands

« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2014, 17:26 »
Oh Pamela - it is hard enough doing the job that you do without all of that bitching. In the long run you made the right decision for the dogs future - at least this way she should find a nice forever home.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2014, 22:56 »
Tough decision to make Pamela, but as you say, there are enough unwanted puppies in the world and these 7 or 8 might end up the same way.
Best decision all round really  ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2014, 13:29 »
Well not good news for the refuge, the townhall want the main building back, so the refuge will just have the 6 stables, so no place to put ill dogs, no place for our cleaning stuff, no place for the fridge, no place for the medicine cupboard, no loo....all we will have is an outside tap.  Will the townhall build a new room outside???

Pamela

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2014, 19:41 »
Oh dear  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

evie2

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2014, 19:05 »
For us here in Britain, it's quite shocking how animals are view in other countries.  I'm not putting us forward as paragons of virtue, far from it, however we have so many animal rescue centres, I think sometimes we just assume everyone's like us.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Oliveview

« Reply #261 on: November 26, 2014, 16:26 »
The townhall still have not taken back the main building-  not sure they were even going to- the new President said he does not want any dogs inside as it is easier to clean if they are all outside in the cold stables.
He has now got 14 refuge dogs advertised as a gift and no money to pay-  I asked why was he advertising dogs on the equivilent of Gumtree free? He might as well just give them to the dog fighters.  He told me I did not understand Spanish-  I told him not to treat me as stupid and that I understood totally.  That is me finished in the refuge now- I do not think he will have me back! 
The old group are still rescuing dogs-  we are just working with foster families and finding good refuges to take them in. 
Lola and her daughter Morci (I took them early from the refuge as I knew he would cause trouble) went off to the official kennels this morning and Friday they start their journey to their happy new life. We had them here just over 2 months.   We have back the dog that was living at the venta bar and pregnant- she is here until 6-7th Jan or thereabouts.  We have another foster dog, she was pregnant, but we were able to abort the pups, not nice I know, there were 8-  puppies are being abandoned every day here now- it is impossible to home them. She was a nervous wreck, when we first took her in, she  peed when we just looked at her, she is getting better.  She is called Caneli.  She is a sweet dog- what we will do with her I do not know!  If we can build up her confidence she will go to the UK too, to the same rescue as Lola and Morci.
So I might not be involved with the refuge, but still rescuing dogs. 
Before ADAM gave up the refuge we re-homed 20 dogs- some to a refuge in Madrid- the new President was furious-  but every dog has been adopted!!! One dog has/is going to Austria!!

Pamela

Springlands

« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2014, 17:23 »
Pamela - no wonder you are not working at the refuge any longer - dear knows where those dogs will end up. Good to know that you are still trying and succeeding to rehome some strays.  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #263 on: November 26, 2014, 17:36 »
How did he get to be the president & why did Adam stop being the last one? Is there some back handing going on maybe :mad:
Such a shame when you have worked so tirelessly for those dogs.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #264 on: November 26, 2014, 17:45 »
It's such a shame that thd refuge loses you because of a pig-ignorant man :mad:

It will be less of a stress for you, but you obviously loved helping there which makes it such a terrible loss to those poor dogs and other volunteers :(

Oliveview

« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2014, 21:12 »
We (ADAM)  gave up the refuge as members were being threatened in the street and were told that the dogs would be poisoned.  Also, we were forever broke and not enough members.  We had 40 dogs, but found homes for 20, some in other refuges, where they have already been adopted.  The new group is run by about 6 old members.
Yesterday the local tv were in the town, wanting to interview different groups who volunteer in the town-  so ADAM went along,we were to be interviewed outside the refuge- and they folkwere interviewing the people working at the refgue-  except the ´boss´ was working so did not tell the others about it!  They refused, at first, to let the people in!!!  I was interviewed, I had to speak inEnglish as they wanted it as a foreigners point of view-  I am sure I said totally the wrong things!
Cora is back here, she was sterilised yesterday-  she does not seem bothered at all.  We also have 5 puppies-I was told they were 2 weeks old-  along with their Mum, well for 2 week old pups they can eat solids and lap water-  they are a month at least!!  They should be going off to Barcelona at the weekend (Fingers crossed)

I was asked by neighbours cousin if I wanted 3 cute puppies- NO

Me: I suggest you get the mother sterilised- a local vet has an offer for December 60-70€
Her:  who pays?
Me:  you
Her:  Oh no I am not paying for a dog to be sterilised
ME:  I walked away

So if I were to say oh the rescue will pay she would say ok, but get a tight fisted Spaniard to pay for their dog/cat no way!!  She is newly widowed- but not short of a few bob. 

Lola and Morci the two refuge dogs arrived in the UK on SUnday-  the lady who is fostering them there said they are fabulous- but will not go outside to pee or poo in the rain!

I do not know when/if my clip will be on tv, if it is I will let you know!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #266 on: December 11, 2014, 12:34 »
When we think it cannot get any worse it does-  Yesterday a Podenco (a Spanish hunting dog) was rescued off the street-  we had been told about her and Jose had spotted her but he was walking with his 4 dogs so could not catch her.  She is in a terrible state-  her right side backleg has been chopped off, probably in a trap, she is very pregnant, has an ulcer on her eye, so maybe blind- has a possible tumour on her side too-  this afternoon she is going to the vet to have the pups aborted- not what we or the vet like having done, but what choice is there? She will also have a biopsy on the tumour too.  She is about 2-3 years old, just a baby.  She was eating paper from the bins to survive.  I guess folk are thinking why do we not put her to sleep?  but it is so B***** hard to make that decission, we will go by what the vet says once the biopsy results come back. 

I will let you know how Sofía gets on

Pamela
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 13:08 by Oliveview »

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #267 on: December 11, 2014, 13:28 »
Reading your last post Pamela has bought a tear to my ear, its absolutely heartbreaking.

Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Aled

« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2015, 09:28 »
I think you are doing a very good job. Good on you Oliveview.
I am hoping to rehome a rescue dog in the not too distant future.
Cheers
Aled

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2015, 13:06 »
it is so sad how the dogs are treated over there, my heart breaks whenever I read about the state they are found in, but those found are the lucky ones who are either treated or put to sleep, the ones nobody can catch or find out about too late who are not so lucky.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 33 queries.