Wild "weeds" nearby - a problem or a good thing?

• 6 Replies

bb_odiham

« on: May 15, 2008, 19:16 »
Short question, is having a completely wild section of plants alongside a vegetable plot a problem, or is it beneficial?

My small vege plot is going well. So far, my spuds (in since 2nd April) are over 1 foot tall and nice 'n bushy, I've just planted my courgettes which are showing signs of pushing through the soil and my next patch of ground is being prepped for some rocket.

However, all around the plot, are weeds - big weeds. It must be said, amongst the weeds there's some lovely flowers, the bees and butterflies are loving it, so I kinda like the wildness around.

Is it a good thing to have all these wild plants + insects alongside my vege plot?

Basically, I live in the countryside and my garden backs onto the fields. We've left it semi-wild because it looks so cool (We have a small wood at the bottom of the garden)

Last year, my first foray into vegetable gardening, I decided to grow salad crops. Everything was eventually destroyed by marauding slugs. I can't help wondering that if I'd left all the wild weeds around my plot in place, instead of strimming them every week or so, the slugs would've left my tasty vege alone?
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 19:54 »
personally, I'm glad you're thinking about the weed thing. I find that weeds tend to produce very good soil with their mostly deeper tap roots. And having bees around to pollinate is always good. As long as the weeds don't encroach on your plots, I'd leave them be. You might want to cut any seed heads that you fear would drift onto your plot, but other than that, don't mess with nature  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 20:51 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
personally, I'm glad you're thinking about the weed thing. I find that weeds tend to produce very good soil with their mostly deeper tap roots. And having bees around to pollinate is always good. As long as the weeds don't encroach on your plots, I'd leave them be. You might want to cut any seed heads that you fear would drift onto your plot, but other than that, don't mess with nature  :wink:

I agree with all of that, you will have a much more varied wild life sustained around your garden. But do cut a couple of times, otherwise you shall have your garden full of weed seedlings for sure. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 22:40 »
they're good and you can keep them under control by cutting them twice a year say.  The cabbage whites will lay their eggs on nettles rather than on your brassicas.   You'll get beneficial insects and birds which make the plot more interesting  :D

bb_odiham

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 07:56 »
Thanks for the information - good to know that keeping some weeds nearby is a good thing!

Where my spuds are currently growing (extremely well) was rank with weeds last year, the earth underneath is indeed exceptionally rich.
It did take me a LOT of effort to clear the weeds out completely, but well worth it!

franmeerkat

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:58 »
HI bb - I've done something similar to you, and kept a strip of weedy wildness next to one of my beds. Two reasons really - the strip is under the shadow of two small apple trees, and when I first visited the plot I couldn't believe the number of ladybirds and hovver flies. So I thought I'd leave them some food!

bb_odiham

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 19:53 »
Funny you should mention that fran, as my "weed bed" alongside the vege patch is partially in the shade of an apple tree.

We also have Damson trees in our garden.

Wish we owned the property - we're just renting :(
Smack bang in the middle of the countryside, really beautiful. I'll be so sad when we eventually have to leave.

xx
Growing water cress - does this sound like "A Good Plan?"

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2012, 20:39
by tosca100
xx
Can you give me advice "Weeds & Veg"

Started by bighomer on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 10:56
by compostqueen
xx
Sprouts looking good, will they last till "that" lunch time?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2015, 05:58
by DD.
xx
"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:41
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 35 queries.