Rotting flowers/weather

• 4 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Rotting flowers/weather
« on: July 24, 2007, 22:10 »
With so many people suffering floods I should not complain, however -
I have grown lilies in tubs for about 10 years with no problem but this year the leaves have turned soft and brown from the bottom of the stem up, then the buds have rotted as they opened. I hope it is just the weather and not a wide-spread disease.

My roses have also failed but differently - the buds have developed and then the flower has grown to full size but without fully opening and has finally withered as a full but unopened flower. Strange. Anyone else had this?

Trillium

Rotting flowers/weather
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:39 »
Lilies can tolerate only so much water before they begin to rot.  I'd unpot the bulb and check it's condition. If still viable, repot in fresh dry soil and leave under shelter until it recovers. If sort of mushy, toss it.

As for the roses, sounds like you've got bud blast. Usually it's when frost hits the bud before it opens, but it could be cold wet weather as well. Clip the buds off as they're done for.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Rotting flowers/weather
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 14:53 »
I'll do that. Actuallu, I have so many tubs of lilies that it's quite a big job.
I am still surprised that after the arrival last year of lily beetles, I have found none this year. Maybe they don't like the weather either.

Trillium

Rotting flowers/weather
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 15:45 »
I have a lot of potted lilies as well that I must check. But checking is better than having pots of dead bulbs sitting about or wondering when they'll grow.
As for the lily beetles, they prefer dry weather so my guess is they're dormant in the top 1/2" of soil, another good reason for fresh soil and tossing the old. I wouldn't compost it as the beetles would only crawl out and become a problem again unless you don't mind some chemical sprays.

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Rotting flowers/weather
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 13:08 »
Yup my roses have been a sad failure too - I don't live in the best of areas for them anyway but this year 99% of them have failed to open at the last minute and rotted on the stem. I've had none for the house at all. On the plus side, I've never in my life seen such a spectacular display of hydrangeas. Has anyone else noticed this? There's massive blooms everywhere I look.

xx
Asistic lillies rotting

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 13:07
by Diddy Gardener
xx
Cut Flowers

Started by pipfit on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Flowers to cut

Started by thestens on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:33
by thestens
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 31 queries.