What could be ready by June?

• 13 Replies

stentman

• Experienced Member
What could be ready by June?
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:05 »
My plot neighbour is moving to new part of the country in June. So the question is what can he grow between now and June to at least get something productive from his plot? Suggestions so far include the usual salad stuff lettuce, radish etc, summer cabbage, maybe broad beans if sown now. Would early spuds be ready in time if you took a punt on the weather? Any other things worth trying?
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What could be ready by June?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:52 »
peas are worth a try, sown beg March - if he's not going right at the beginning of June?
Has he any fleece/poly to warm the soil before sowing, and to cover them for the first few weeks.
That would help.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:54 »
Thanks MoS he hasn't got much kit but I can lend him what's needed fleece cloches etc. Like the peas idea, hadn't thought of that :D Also suggested by the lads at work he tries Turnips.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27 »
spuds in containers, he can then take them with him  ;)
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 22:21 »
My plot neighbour is moving to new part of the country in June. So the question is what can he grow between now and June to at least get something productive from his plot? Suggestions so far include the usual salad stuff lettuce, radish etc, summer cabbage, maybe broad beans if sown now. Would early spuds be ready in time if you took a punt on the weather? Any other things worth trying?

Of course. If he can sow in March. But one usually can and it's usually harvesting by then.

Not much else that springs to mind though, maybe some early finger carrots. Apart from the peas I mean.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 22:29 »
If I was moving in June, I'd let someone else move onto my plot now. At least they'd get a full season's crops in, rather than squeeze in a few crops for myself, then hand over to someone who's lost the season.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 22:31 »
If I was moving in June, I'd let someone else move onto my plot now. At least they'd get a full season's crops in, rather than squeeze in a few crops for myself, then hand over to someone who's lost the season.

......... and it saves you maintaining it in the meantime!  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:31 »

......... and it saves you maintaining it in the meantime!  :)

Also, it takes a surprisingly longer time to clear off a plot than you might realise. 

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58 »
yes i agree with DD ,seems rather selfish to me, for the sake of a few months ok well live an let live    lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:32 »
I suppose if you've paid for the year, you may think you should reap some benefit, but then again - is it worth the upkeep of it when you've got all the packing to do  :unsure:

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07 »
I would suggest he asks the governing body / committee etc. to let it to the next on the list and payment recouped and paid back to him.. At least the new tenant will get a full season of growing in.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 19:33 »
Why not share it for five months!!! :D

Best of both world then! :D :D :D
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 09:27 »
I would suggest he asks the governing body / committee etc. to let it to the next on the list and payment recouped and paid back to him.. At least the new tenant will get a full season of growing in.

The chap in question is our allotment secretary and will be a greatly missed for all the behind the scenes stuff he does. Our little group are in a unique position (I think) regarding plot allocation and usage. As described here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=63555.0
We can't hand his plot on as most surprisingly we have no waiting list and at least 6 vacant plots waiting keen active young diggers at the moment. I agree though, with other posters comments, in most council run allotments with the ubiquitoius long waiting list getting someone else on the land or even sharing would make more sense.

stompy

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 14:56 »
Can't you advertise in the local press for the empty plots?

xx
The June drop is a June avalanche...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 20:08
by Growster...
xx
June '08

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:37
by johnathome
clip
Frost in June

Started by simonwatson on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 07:41
by New shoot
xx
june bettles

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 18:32
by Trillium

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 34 queries.