Toilet roll tubes

• 33 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Toilet roll tubes
« on: January 30, 2008, 17:50 »
I have millions of toilet roll tubes hanging around at home.... apart from the girls making things out of them, and composting them what veg can I start off in them.

I used them for sweet peas last year but what about veg?
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 18:22 »
Someone on my plot used them to grow peas and beans in and then when they are large enough you can put the whole thing into the soil.

sophiejo

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 19:24 »
I have just planted some broad beans (red epicure) in them. Not sure how well it will work, as i haven't tried it before.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 19:26 »
I have 50 kohl rabi germinating in them now.  The plan is to transplant the whole tube to the ground when it's warm enough.

I'm also going to try germinating some yellow onions in them from seed, as my book says they don't like being transplanted.  So far I've had no luck germinating onions ever, so I figured it has to be worth a try.

davesplot

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 20:03 »
Hi, last year I had excellent results with parsnip seed starting them off in toilet roll tubes.

I used the following method about March time last year.

I cut the toilet roll tubes into 1/3rds, placed them in a seed tray and then filled them up with potting compost placing 3 seeds per tube.

Once germinated and the plants about an inch in height, I transplanted each tube into a prepared hole; each hole being formed by an iron bar to a depth of about 8 inches, then filling each hole with good soil.

Once growth was well underway i carefully removed two of the parsnip plants to allow the strongest to grow on.

I raised about 80 plants in all to a good size with very little forking.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Dave

Nikkithefoot

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 23:32 »
As well as starting veg you can put them over young leeks. Helps to blanch the stems without getting dirt between the leaves.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

growmore

• http://www.braa.co.uk
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 23:41 »
I use toilet roll centres for nearly everything. Brassicas I start off in a tray them transplant to t.r.c. then into the soil including the card. Sweetcorn, Parsnips, beans - the list is huge . They are great and biodegradable. You can transplant into the soil without disturbing the roots and the cardboard just rots away

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 23:45 »
I've planted some broad beans into Richy's style rolled newspaper tubes.  They seem to be holding together at the moment  :?

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 09:46 »
They also make excellent kindling when you can't find any newspaer and the electrics gone off.

mashauk

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 00:02 »
I've been using the paperpots for germinating (although none of my peppers have come up so far), but once out of the propagator they do seem to dry out very quickly, is this normal?

Falcon_man

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 11:04 »
Can you start carrots off in these??

I know you are meant to plant them straight into the soil but if the tube roles prevent disturbing the roots would this work, has any tried previously?

Cheers

Rob the rake

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12 »
Quote from: "Falcon_man"
Can you start carrots off in these??

I know you are meant to plant them straight into the soil but if the tube roles prevent disturbing the roots would this work, has any tried previously?

Cheers

Carrots throw down a long tap root very quickly, so you'd need to transplant when the seedlings are very young.

I know some of our members have had success with this method, so it may be worth trying a search.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 15:29 »
ok can someone please explain how you grow seeds from using loo  rolls please,do you use soil as well????
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Trillium

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 15:39 »
Yes, you'd fill the roll with potting mix rather than actual soil, water it, add a bit more mix if necessary, put your seed in and top with a bit more dry mix (which will dampen on its own). Have them already set on garden drainage trays but not squashed together. They need a bit of air so mold doesn't start.
Some people cut the rolls in thirds, others use the whole roll. Depends on what you're starting and how long it needs to stay there. Parsnips and toms benefit from the whole roll.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 15:57 »
thank you,i will try it out and pass it on to my mate as we both couldnt work it out,

xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 17:13
by JayG
xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 17:33
by shaun
xx
Toilet Roll Tubes

Started by PupStar on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 19:47
by sunshineband
xx
growing in toilet roll tubes

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 21:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 31 queries.