Toilet roll tubes

• 33 Replies

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 16:47 »
One word of warning!  

... when you plant loorolls out onto the plot be sure to submerge them under the soil otherwise when it getss hot and sunny they will dry and draw moisture AWAY from your seedlings!!  

... I use them and have had great success ... lettuce hate having their roots disturbed and I also used them for sweet corn ...  :tongue2:  :wink:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

sweet nasturtium

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 18:02 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
I've been using the paperpots for germinating (although none of my peppers have come up so far), but once out of the propagator they do seem to dry out very quickly, is this normal?

Do you mean peat pots or Richy-style paper pots?  Peat pots are a waste of money, time and peat as far as I remember.

mashauk

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 12:20 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Quote from: "mashauk"
I've been using the paperpots for germinating (although none of my peppers have come up so far), but once out of the propagator they do seem to dry out very quickly, is this normal?

Do you mean peat pots or Richy-style paper pots?  Peat pots are a waste of money, time and peat as far as I remember.

Home made newspaper pots, I did buy some peat pots once before I realised how naughty it is!

Rob the rake

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 08:50 »
Quote from: "jolly jen"
thank you,i will try it out and pass it on to my mate as we both couldnt work it out,

Get your mate to join up, JJ. The more, the merrier. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
  • half of my crop of BNS & pumpkins
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 13:31 »
have started collecting loo rolls,but used them to start a fire to set alight all the brambles with instead.my plot is well overgrown,my first  week as a plot holder
Self-sufficient in rasberries and onions....

Sally A

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 13:35 »
Don't be ashamed to start off a carrier bag for empty loo rolls at work, an office with 30 employees should give you at least 2 innards a day.  When people ask why you're collecting them, they are likely to bring them in from home too.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 16:06 »
have started collecting loo rolls,but used them to start a fire to set alight all the brambles with instead.my plot is well overgrown,my first  week as a plot holder

I'd love to have a big bonfire on my plot but we're not allowed fires at our site as the neighbouring houses complain!  :(
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2008, 18:19 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"

I'd love to have a big bonfire on my plot but we're not allowed fires at our site as the neighbouring houses complain!  :(

we done our's in an old oil drum left there.luckly we'll in the middle plot and there is only a  main road behind us,the kids loved helping out with the fire,i was more than a bit nervous though with them .

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 19:46 »
this may sound a nit dom  of me but i was thinking.when you fill the loo roll with soil,do you lay it on its side and fill it up and cut a hole in the top to let the seed grow through???

sweet nasturtium

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 10:14 »
Sorry to say that is a nit dom!  Keep them vertical darling!

Rob the rake

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 10:16 »
this may sound a nit dom  of me but i was thinking.when you fill the loo roll with soil,do you lay it on its side and fill it up and cut a hole in the top to let the seed grow through???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

slugtrap

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 16:59 »
I've had the kids collecting loo rolls all winter... I put the bag in the garage and my son (6) asked me where it had gone? I said "we had a bag full now but that we could start another"... my son said "we've got one more than a bag full now Daddy!!" :lol:
Good for: Any Peas/Beans, Sweetcorn, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Aubergine, Courgettes...

jolly jen

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 21:00 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Sorry to say that is a nit dom!  Keep them vertical darling!

ok DARLING!!!

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 10:42 »
I sowed some leeks in loo rolls tubes on 4th feb, there's no sign of life yet. They are in one of those plastic mini greenhouses in my conservatory. It's a bright sunny room but can get very cold in their at night...am I being too impatient or is it too cold for them to germinate?
Jan

paintedlady

Toilet roll tubes
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 10:59 »
Quote from: "nipper31"
I sowed some leeks in loo rolls tubes on 4th feb, there's no sign of life yet. They are in one of those plastic mini greenhouses in my conservatory. It's a bright sunny room but can get very cold in their at night...am I being too impatient or is it too cold for them to germinate?
Jan

Don't worry too much yet - I sowed my leeks about then and was getting a bit worried too.  Then this morning as I drew the curtains on the window back (my seed trays are on a pasting board in the bedroom facing south) -  :D I could just make out tiny green threads, so there is life, phew!
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 17:33
by shaun
xx
Toilet Roll Tubes

Started by PupStar on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 19:47
by sunshineband
xx
Toilet roll tubes

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 17:13
by JayG
xx
growing in toilet roll tubes

Started by terry d on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 21:37
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.76 seconds with 30 queries.