Egg inside an egg sac

• 14 Replies

ReaderRabbit

Egg inside an egg sac
« on: March 04, 2009, 17:52 »
Hi all

Had a wierd one today - Tori our white wyanodotte hadn't laid for about a week and we'd noticed that every now and then she would stoop as if she was constipated (although she wasn't - plenty of poo as usual :tongue2:).

We didn't worry too much as she has been eating and drinking as usual, looks perky, nice red crown and wattle, etc.

Came home from work today to find an 'alien' in the nest box.  It was an egg inside a sac that also contained a yolk.  I'm guessing she must have got backed up at some point over the past week.  Has anyone else had this or does anyone know what could have caused it?

RR

poultrygeist

Re: Egg inside an egg sac
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 18:54 »
I'd go with the alien hypothesis  :unsure:

...I think you're right abotu her being slightly out of synch. Some strange things can happen between releasing a new yolk and laying. Empty shells, shell-less eggs, etc.

Wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening. :)

Rob 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 20:19 »
PHOTOS?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

ReaderRabbit

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 20:27 »
PHOTOS?

Sorry - it's gone in the bin  ???

It looked a bit rank :tongue2: and the bin men come tomorrow.  I know the law about photos but even I draw the line at rummaging about in our bin ???

RR

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 20:29 »
 :( ::) :mad:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 20:34 »
was it not just a shell-less egg?  If you pick it up it's just like a waterballoon full of egg;

If your birds are old or not getting enough calcium they can lay eggs with no shells and it is rather uncomfortable for them to lay.

hope this helps :D

ReaderRabbit

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 20:49 »
was it not just a shell-less egg?  If you pick it up it's just like a waterballoon full of egg;

If your birds are old or not getting enough calcium they can lay eggs with no shells and it is rather uncomfortable for them to lay.

hope this helps :D

TBH I thought it was just an shell-less egg when I first saw it but when I picked it up there was a whole, normal sized egg inside the sac, along with a normal sized yolk.  It was all quite a size and the poor chook's eyes must have watered when she laid it.

She's still a youngster and has only been laying since December.  She is one of three and they all have good quality layers pellets and grit ad lib plus they free range around the garden for a minimum of 3 hours a day (all day at week ends and school hols).

The only thing we don't give them is shell,but if she doesn't go back to normal laying we'll give them some when we can get to the pet supplies shop at the weekend.

Luckily they all lay different coloured eggs so it's easy to monitor who's doing what. 

RR

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 20:59 »
It's a very good idea to give them some extra calcium to avoid depletion from their bones. The sooner the better.

Rob 8)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 21:40 »
Oh... you mean like a shell-less egg with a shelled egg inside it  :blink:

I would imagine that if it had developed propery then it would have been a fairly rare egg within an egg  :wacko:

If mine are running low on calcium I feed their old eggshell back to them after it's been baked for 20 minutes and then ground to powder with a mortar & pestle.  works a treat!  If you do feed shell back to yours make sure it's not recognisable to them as eggshell otherwise when she's laying properly she might take to eating eggs  :ohmy:

shiatsusu

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:37 »
What temp do you bake the shell at Snoozi?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 11:46 »
 :blush:  not completely sure; my cooker is so old that the temperatures have been washed off over the years  ::)  I think it's about 120-150 c and I leave them there for about 15-20 mins, until the shells are brittle and the membrane left inside has browned.

:)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 11:57 »
I save my eggs and microwave them.  Full power for 5 mins.   But be warned after 1 plastic bowl and one porcelain one (melted/broken). I now put a small glass of water in. I means your bowls do not get nuked as much  but the shells come out hot. After leaving the shells to cool I then crush them in a pestle and mortar.  The shell does change consistency after being nuked.

shiatsusu

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 14:12 »
I don't like microwaves so will use the oven and try trial and error  :lol: Love the idea of an oven with no obvious temp settings left!!  :blink:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 14:19 »
You really trying to kill all nasties with heat.

shiatsusu

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 14:31 »
So as long as they've had a good blast they should be fine? Does that mean that you can't really overcook them?

xx
inside???

Started by miller15 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 12:21
by cathangirl
xx
cant see inside the egg

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 14:39
by naturesparadise
xx
The egg inside

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 13:47
by richyrich7
xx
Broken egg inside

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 19:44
by mumsy

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 28 queries.