Holidays

• 6 Replies

rcandy2001

Holidays
« on: January 30, 2009, 11:08 »
Hi everyone, I am new here and have enjoyed reading the forum over the past few days as part of my research into whether or not to get some chickens.

Im thinking of getting some chickens and they would be kept in an enclosed run while im not home and free range my garden when I am home as it’s a pretty enclosed secure garden (high fences all around).

The one question I do have is what happens when I go away on holiday for a week or so? In normal circumstances I understand that we would normally ask our neighbours to look after the chickens but we do not know any of our neighbours very well as we’re quite new to the area and I would feel quite rude asking them as its quite a responsibility.

So the only other option is to transport them to my Mum & Dads along with the house and run which is about 30 mins away (again I wouldn’t want to ask them to come up to the house while im away due to petrol costs and time etc). So my real question is would transporting the chickens for the holidays distress them too much or have any negative effects, would they stop laying?

Any thought and responses would be greatly appreciated  :)

Tinkers

• www.the-admin-angels.co.uk
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:22 »
Hi RCancy,

Welcome  :)

I wouldn't think it would stress them too much, they are quite adaptable but I think you would find the practicality of moving everything a bit of a pain to be honest.

Get you know your neighbours a bit better  :D When we go away on holiday, it is easier for them to pop round early morning and dusk to open and close the door of the coop.

Hope this helps  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:33 »
Where are you? You never know, one of us might be right round the corner.

I would try to get to know your neighbours a bit better. For a week of free eggs they may be more than happy to look after them.

Have to say I get a pet sitter in. Mine is great although I did kind of sneak the ducks up on her as she had been looking after the cats for a while. Costs the same for 2 cats and 6 ducks as it did for 1 cat and cheaper than putting them in a cattery (which would be a problem for the ducks!)!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

rcandy2001

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 12:14 »
Thanks for you comments guys. I’m in Porth, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, South Wales.

Well the house and run im looking at getting comes flat packed so i presume it would be pretty easy to take it apart, put in the car (we've got a large 7 seater people carrier), and reassemble it at my Mums. Which I am happy to do once a year as long as it doesn’t stress the hens out too much and disrupt their laying.

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45 »
Our neighbours "chicken sit" for two weeks in the summer.  They come in an Eglu. 

We've never had a holiday post-chicken, but I know our neighbours would be fine with it, in exchange for eggs and poo! (Nearest neighbours have a very big allotment, rather than a thing for poo).
Sue

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 12:49 »
Our neighbours "chicken sit" for two weeks in the summer.  They come in an Eglu. 

My neighbours live in a house.  :D
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:57 »

My neighbours live in a house.  :D

OOhh.. posh neighbours,  :lol:  no, ours stuffs his in-laws in the Eglu for two weeks a year and puts them in the garden.  :tongue2:

xx
holidays

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 08:03
by Sideshoot
xx
Hen Holidays

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2015, 19:49
by andy46
xx
Eglu for the holidays

Started by melc1962 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 21:06
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Chicken holidays?

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 21:16
by henamoured

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.