What to do when mother leaves chicks

• 2 Replies

bantam novice

What to do when mother leaves chicks
« on: May 21, 2011, 16:12 »
Well I have my mother bantam with two chicks who are coming up to a month old.  As I understand it she will be ready to leave the chicks in about a fortnight and I will put her back with the other girls then.

I am intending to keep the chicks in their separate accommodation visible to the adult bantams until they are a bit older.  I am fairly sure I have one cockerel and one hen.  I don't want the cockerel to feel intimidated by the older girls when I introduce him.  I thought I would introduce the chicks at the end of June.  How does this sound?

I have several other broody bantams and would like one to sit on full-sized hen eggs.  How many full-sized eggs do you think she will be able to sit on?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

Re: What to do when mother leaves chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 22:10 »
I would play it by ear rather than chose a specific date for the separation of mum and chicks. The broodie hen will absolutely show you and her chicks that she no longer wants to be with them. Her whole body language changes and she will become impatient and quite crotchety with the young ones then put her back with the main group.

Your young cockerel will be as able to integrate as just as easily as your young hen as he is not mature yet.

Once the broodie has rejoined the main group give her a week or so before you start to let the big chicks and the main flock mix.

Orchardlady

Re: What to do when mother leaves chicks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 13:22 »
I would consider putting tham all back together now.  I have a bantam with a chick (not her own, it's a light sussex cross).  They were in a neighbouring run and mum tried to get out several times when the chick was only 3 weeks old.  I put them in together and the other hens don't bother with it unless it gets in the way.

xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Mother Hen Attacking Chicks

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 09:38
by ANHBUC
xx
How old can a mother leave her chicks?

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 12:12
by megkaya
xx
When does a mother hen leave her chicks???

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:30
by Tazzy

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 35 queries.