If Blighted - what to do with soil?

• 10 Replies

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« on: August 30, 2008, 14:29 »
If I have suffered with the dreaded blight on my Toms what should I be doing with areas they grown in please?

I have pulled up most of the plants - just left a few Ailsa Craig to see what happens to them - after removing all heavy trusses.

The weather has now changed and bright and sunny - and dry!

Should soil be disinfected and if so what with.

Ta for any advice.

MA.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

paintedlady

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 15:03 »
As long as you have completely removed the blighted material (obviously do not compost it) I personally would do nothing else.  Obviously do not grow potatoes or tomatoes in that area and basically treat it as part of your 3 or 4 year crop rotation plan.

Some others may have differing views  :wink:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 17:32 »
I agree with paintedlady no need to do anything the spores die on the ground within a couple of weeks.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 13:19 »
Thanks for replies.....the word blight makes you feel sort of unclean doesn't it  :cry:

Don't want to wake up and find big painted red cross on my front door  :evil:

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 15:05 »
a shower of jeyes wont hurt iether over winter just use a watering can with half cup per container ,water the soil and leave it ,whn i was lad we used to  take the soil up and steam it in a big soil kiln/boiler type thing on trays wrapped in hessian sacking, killed everything in the soil. then  put manure down and the soil back on top  :roll: kinda wondered why back then.... :D
still alive /............

Maryann

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 15:46 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
whn i was lad we used to  take the soil up and steam it in a big soil kiln/boiler type thing on trays wrapped in hessian sacking, killed everything in the soil. then  put manure down and the soil back on top  :roll: kinda wondered why back then.... :D

Really ???  :shock:

That seems like a lot of hard work - even back then.... sorry not wishing to imply you are err um, very old  :oops: ...

how did they know they had got all the soil that needed to be steralised? I would have thought if you missed even a little bit that was infected it would spread again, but then I know nothing....as my many post on here confirm  :wink:

My hubby is now totally won over to your runner bean frame (thanks for that - brill)

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 16:05 »
ty .re tips .. but they soil was steamed for about 4 hrs at a time around a ton at a time we had to put a layer of hessian down in the tray bottom and then the soil a wrap of more hessian and then push the trays from a barrow affair into the oven, then drag it out throw it down on the concrete mixing floor add fish blood n bone  and some other concoctions known only to the old fella .. we had to do 6 x 30ft 12ft poly tunnels werth each season .then we had the great joy of going and collecting mole hills also for doing seed composts  for bedding plants etc :roll: this was also steamed  mind  we had great toms etc and the seeds always showed great results when planted out or sold

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 17:51 »
I thought blighted soil was no good for potatos for 5 years? Or even longer
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 20:31 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
ty .re tips .. but they soil was steamed for about 4 hrs at a time around a ton at a time we had to put a layer of hessian down in the tray bottom and then the soil a wrap of more hessian and then push the trays from a barrow affair into the oven, then drag it out throw it down on the concrete mixing floor add fish blood n bone  and some other concoctions known only to the old fella .. we had to do 6 x 30ft 12ft poly tunnels werth each season .then we had the great joy of going and collecting mole hills also for doing seed composts  for bedding plants etc :roll: this was also steamed  mind  we had great toms etc and the seeds always showed great results when planted out or sold

Poor OLD sod!!!! Had such a hard life!! :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 21:12 »
Munty also told me last year to lime over where my blighted potatoes were, and to leave it over the winter.  I did lime, but later on put my leeks there and they were wonderful!

gobs

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 21:03 »
If the soil got blighted, we'd be in a real pickle!! :shock:

But thankfully, all volunteer potatoes turn up nice and healthy without any sign of blight or suffering. Phew! :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Blighted!

Started by AussieInFrance on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2016, 08:33
by BabbyAnn
xx
Blighted !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 19:18
by sunshineband
xx
Potatoes blighted...

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 11:50
by argaric
xx
Blighted Toms

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 00:02
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 28 queries.