How often do you clean pooh under perch

• 25 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 20:44 »
Quote from: "Hawkins"
Daily me, got my paint scraper and straight into the poo bucket.

SNAP! same here....only taakes a few seconds!  :lol:

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 20:46 »
i use a gardening spade a little one , its good but only thing is when i want to use it for weeding i cant never find it  :x
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Lardman

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 21:39 »
Daily pooh picking here too.

I've found a 6inch gauging trowel the most effective poop scoop so far.  I couldnt get under the stuff with a scraper and a shovel was just too big. In the bucket then in the compost.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 21:43 »
Quote from: "parsleypig"
Mine don't use their perches to sleep on but have been sleeping in one corner of the hen house, which I clean out once a week. I cleaned out the hen house on Sunday and now they are all sleeping in the nest box!   I obviously did something wrong!

Now I have to clean the nest box out daily :(

Chuck 'em out  :lol:  seriously block the nest box up at night so they can't get in it, then when they are asleep put them on the perch be gentle with no sudden movements talking to them to keep the calm, with perseverance they will perch.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Old Whiskers

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 00:47 »
My henhouse has two feet high legs, and the front is made of weldmesh. The hens (to all intents and purposes) are sleeping in the open air, but with a roof overhead of course.  The floor is made of creosoted boards.  I occasionally throw in some peat, but no other bedding. The manure dries as quick as the birds produce it, and is virtually odourless.  I never actually clean it out - I just fill a barrow or two when I want some for the compost heap or to mulch the onions.

peewee_lane

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 12:41 »
Wow.. daily pooh pickers! Im amazed.

I have asked the OH to install a slide out tray, so that they can * away and I can pull the tray out rather than the nasty job I do weekly now and shovel a heap of it into a wheelbarrow.

Im serious guys! Theres a blooming mountain of it! I think its my welsummer, shes huge!

compostqueen

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 17:25 »
By clearing it daily it doesn't mount up and is much less of a job

Doing it weekly is a marathon plus it must stink

I think of the hens at night all comfy in their coop. If it stank I couldn't live with myself. How would I like it

That's my rationale  :D

Foxy

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 17:59 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
By clearing it daily it doesn't mount up and is much less of a job

Doing it weekly is a marathon plus it must stink

I think of the hens at night all comfy in their coop. If it stank I couldn't live with myself. How would I like it

That's my rationale  :D

I think you've hit the nail on the head -it the coop smells -a clean-out is overdue! :wink:

I "top and tail" weekly -but saying that I have quite large sheds for them. If they have been sleeping in he nestboxes I get a bit grumpy with them! :D

mumsy

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 22:32 »
I have five girls & use throw away gloves to poo pick every other day, under the perches, only takes a couple of minutes, one sleeps in the nest box, any poo in there gets taken out every morning.   A proper clean at the weekends only takes 15 mins or so.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 15:44 »
Quote from: "yorky"
Twice a week for me. I have newspaper under the perches (5 or 6 sheets thick) just roll it all up and straight on the compost heap. Takes about 2 minutes including putting new paper down.

I'm glad you said that!
We've had newspaper as the bedding since day one and have never found out whether it's a good idea from anywhere official.  
We do exactly what you do!  Except we do it every day because they don't sleep on the perches, but directly on the newspaper. :roll:
And we have a special poo compost bin that we water down about once a month so that it gets nice and compacted.
Great on the veggies!  :)

Mr Chookles

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 20:12 »
Twice a week for poo changing,with these dark mornings and nights its not easy to get out there before or after work,thinking of fitting a low voltage lamp inside the coop to make things a little easier,using a car inspection lamp at the mo which the girls find quite novel as the minute I turn up with it switched on they leg out into the run thinkin its day time again  :lol: ,the coop has got 2 aluminium trays under the perches full of wood shavings so the poop tends to collect on there hence I can get away with twice a week,as for it smelling I have never really noticed a smell,then again in the summer its more likely to but I change the shavings more frequent at that time of year anyway,does anyone else's chooks eat the wood shavings  :?: one of mine the other night started eating it the minute I put fresh down even though there was a full feeder of lovely mixed corn,wheat and layers pellets  :?:
Les T

Jesus !!!!!! they can fly.........

xx
Pooh ..just out of inerest.

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 11:42
by joyfull
xx
Yolk among the pooh?

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 14:55
by joyfull
xx
blood in pooh

Started by p00rstudent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:07
by Vember
xx
sloppy pooh

Started by helen houghton on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 18:11
by helen houghton

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 34 queries.