Colorado beetles

• 17 Replies

Anton

Colorado beetles
« on: June 14, 2023, 21:43 »
I planted five long rows of new potatoes (three different types) starting from 29 March. They were doing quite well then of course the drought turned up. I saw one potato flower the other week but that was it. However, I read somewhere that even if they don't flower, just to wait until they start dying down and I might still get a decent harvest (I did have one black leg incident, which I reported here, asking for advice, but after it was removed there was no repeat).
 Anyhow, this evening was delightfully surprised to see quite a  few ladybird on one plant. I took a picture to show the  wife but when I looked closer my suspicions were aroused. The dreaded Colarado beetle (see the picture). I looked on the Internet and saw the advice was to pick them off by hand and drop them in a bucket of soapy water. I did this. I also discovered two or three stripey looking beetles (which I initially thought were slugs) and they went in the bucket as wel.  On a few, but not many of the affected plants (about five) there were tiny clusters of bright cells, which I squashed (I suppose they are the larvae).

As the plants have been in the ground nearly 10 weeks, I guess, is there any chance of being able to have a reasonable harvest? The insects destroy the leaves, not the potatoes, don't they.

Anton

Beetles.jpg
Beetles.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Colorado beetles
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 21:57 »
Looking at the wikipedia page for the beetle, there are useful photos of the lifecycle of the beetle, and it does confirm that it attacks the foliage rather than the crops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_potato_beetle

You may have a chance of a crop if the foliage hasn't been completely removed. I would hope for the best and continue to water and look after the crops until there seems no hope!

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Anton

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 22:14 »
Thanks for the reply, Yorkie.

There is not enough water in the garden to start watering potatoes (no tap, it's just a piece of land, where a neighbour allows water from his roof to go via a pipe into a barrel, which I transfer to other barrels). On my previous allotment (where I was until last year, my first year in the new garden), I never watered and always had a decent crop, and I did in the new one last year as well. 

So far there only five plants have been affected.  I am hoping that if I keep removing the pests by hand (and the larvae) I might be able be able to get a fairly decent harvest. I checked  the other person's potatoes (there are two of us on this piece of land) and I sought to stripey beasts and what looked like a cluster of larvae on one plant, and she has a lot more plants than I. New  potatoes and main  crop.

Anton

Anton

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 22:16 »
Sorry, I'm rattling on about larvae. I meant to say bright yellow eggs on the underside of leaves.

Anton

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 22:54 »
You could investigate whether there are nematodes you can buy to apply to tackle the larvae - but this would probably also require water to dilute and apply them though.

Anton

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 14:59 »
I just discovered you don't have the pest in Britain. How come?

Anton

Anton

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 21:34 »
Yes, thanks, I realise that. But how come the UK managed to avoid a plague of such pests?
What happens when an outbreak is notified?

Anton

missmoneypenny

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 22:17 »
I’ve wondered the same Anton, given that we live in a globalised world and they are so prevalent on the continent. I remember potato fields covered in them when I holidayed in the french countryside as a kid.

Anton

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 22:51 »
You saw them in France that long ago (I say "that long ago" when I don't actually know your age)! I remember, about 35-40 years ago, seeing a poster in a Belgian council office showing the bugs, but just the one year, I think. And I have never seen or heard of the pests since.

Anton

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 12:05 »
Yes, thanks, I realise that. But how come the UK managed to avoid a plague of such pests?
What happens when an outbreak is notified?

Anton

I think it’s by active surveillance at points of entry.

https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/assets/uploads/Colorado-beetle-CP-v2022.pdf

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 07:12 »
We had a massive public awareness campaign in the UK in the 70s/80s and a big push from whatever the equivalent to DEFRA was back then so I suppose it worked? That and being an island.

When I was a kid you couldn’t go into a public place without seeing the Colorado Beetle poster! 😆

Anton

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2023, 13:38 »
Thanks for the information Gleavo.

Anton

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2023, 18:45 »

Anton

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2023, 19:52 »
Interesting.

Anton

clip
Colorado beetle

Started by SimonF1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2021, 15:50
by SimonF1
clip
Colorado potato beetle

Started by Toosje on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2018, 21:19
by Toosje
xx
colorado potato beetle

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 11:22
by joyfull
xx
Very small red beetles

Started by whistler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 19:59
by whistler

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 47 queries.