Watering Potato Patch?

• 10 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Watering Potato Patch?
« on: April 25, 2010, 09:43 »
Hi,
As yet I haven't bothered to water any of my Potatoes. One Guy down there is watering his every day, even though the Hallums not even through yet. When I asked him if it's necessary to water yet he reckons yes if you want a good crop. What's everyones opinion on this? I would have thought it wasn't necessary yet, but wondered if there was a point to it. Thanks

paintedlady

Re: Watering Potato Patch?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:10 »
I generally don't water my spuds unless we have had a very dry spell and the soil is too dry - then I'll give it a good drenching and leave it.  Some books suggest watering during and after the flowers to increase the potato size but in recent years it's been more a case of praying that the rain would go away  ???
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15 »
I don't think you gain from watering every day......but if we don't get any rain soon, I will give the earlies a good soaking this week. Better the occasional good soaking than a little drop every day IMO.

There is still plenty of time for the later potatoes, so I won't worry about them :)

drippin

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:19 »
Talking of potatoes - I made a mistake and planted my maincrops in mid-March, when the earlies should have gone, and only just got around to planting the earlies this weekend - doh!!
 Maincrop went in five weeks ago, and no sign of leaves yet,  the ground has been  very dry though for about two weeks now.  Do you think I have blown it, by planting so early or should they be popping through soon? Gave a really good soaking yesterday, so hoping that will help.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 12:21 by drippin »

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 13:05 »
I've read somewhere that if you water a lot you sacrifice flavour for quantity.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 13:34 »
Talking of potatoes - I made a mistake and planted my maincrops in mid-March, when the earlies should have gone, and only just got around to planting the earlies this weekend - doh!!
 Maincrop went in five weeks ago, and no sign of leaves yet,  the ground has been  very dry though for about two weeks now.  Do you think I have blown it, by planting so early or should they be popping through soon? Gave a really good soaking yesterday, so hoping that will help.

All potatoes can be planted at the same time.......the only difference is the planting to harvest time...so they will be fine :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 21:34 »
You only need to make sure they are properly watered once the new tubers start to swell.  At the moment the seed tubers are providing the nutrition etc for the plant so I think it's rather premature to be worrying about watering (and wasteful of water).

Also, if you dig down a couple of inches I'm sure the ground is still fairly moist - only on the surface is it dry.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 22:26 »
Also, if you dig down a couple of inches I'm sure the ground is still fairly moist - only on the surface is it dry.

You can tell you don't garden in Sunny Kent Yorkie 8)......it really is dry as a bone.....like dust  a good few inches deep :( Nothing is growing unless you water it............and raised beds just make it worse, don't they ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 23:51 »
Oh dear  :(

Watering it is then  :(

andy135

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 00:02 »
Oh dear  :(

Watering it is then  :(

They'll be having a water shortage and a hosepipe ban next month then...........!  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 02:18 »
I hate the idea of watering my potatoes... and would only do this if it really was a dust bowl but... since mine went in we've had just one light down-pour and then it was relatively short lived.

I'll hang on another couple of days and after that... a soaking they are going to have to have.. The soil wasn't that damp when they went in  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Potato blight and watering

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2009, 21:38
by home made pie
xx
Potato patch border

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:44
by shokkyy
xx
Fresh Manure for Potato patch and Rhubarb?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2006, 19:32
by muntjac
xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 31 queries.