Potato patch border

• 2 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Potato patch border
« on: July 17, 2010, 12:55 »
I have a plot dug out in my lawn that's big enough for a couple of decent rows of spuds. I have to protect against rabbits and dogs (and an over enthusiastic lawnmower) so right now it's surrounded by chain link wire. It's not buried in the ground but it seems to work for the rabbits, though my lurcher has been known to fly over it. The problem is that the weeds and grass are growing in through the wire. Because they're through the wire it's very difficult to pull them up, and it's also very difficult to get the strimmer to them because it just hits the wire. I don't want to use anything solid to surround the patch because if it was high enough to keep out dogs and rabbits it's also going to be high enough to shut out light.

Any suggestions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato patch border
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 13:34 »
would it work just putting some planks in so they are just a little bit taller than the grass, that should stop the grass growing in and give you something to strim against?

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Potato patch border
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 13:44 »
Yes, that might work. I thought about that split log edging stuff but I'm a bit reluctant to use that. We had some around the borders before but it was old, the wood was rotting and what we were left with was bits of wire embedded in the ground and sticking up in the air. We didn't realise how dangerous it was until the puppy got one stuck in her eye. Very traumatic, luckily no permanent damage, but it's the last time I'll have split log edging in my garden.

xx
Watering Potato Patch?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 02:18
by Paul Plots
xx
Fresh Manure for Potato patch and Rhubarb?

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2006, 19:32
by muntjac
xx
Looking for your opinions on my border veg

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen
xx
Border edging

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 11:59
by brokenglass

Page created in 1.706 seconds with 38 queries.